Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New crib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New crib

So, I got MrsK's take on this, and now DH has decided to throw out another "idea" (what he thinks we should do): he says we don't need a crib in the girls' room until DD2 is ready to use it. So around DD1's second birthday this winter/late fall. Mistake or good idea?
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Sure, if you won't be using it! I managed to sleep in the same room with DS for about 6 weeks and only about 3 weeks with DD, so I was glad to have the crib ready.

But we also moved DS into a toddler bed at about 18-19 months, so if you think that might be a possibility to avoid buying a second crib, that's a great way to get a little more time.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We have DD on a twin bed mattress (no crib) and it's worked out GREAT. Do you think she'd be able to go to a toddler mattress on the floor even if she wasn't ready for a bed by the time DD2 needs the crib?
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Also, depends on how you feel about moving DD1 into a bed. Some kids feel displaced if they are moved out of their crib for the baby or just feel more secure in their cribs. K1 - who is otherwise a very independent, adventurous kid - loved his crib and he did not want to climb out or sleep elsewhere until just a couple weeks before his 3rd birthday. Since the boys were sharing a room, I was happy with this since it kept K1 away from K2. We switched him to the toddler bed right around his 3rd birthday since he started climbing out of his crib and into K2's crib. (Another 2 cents from MrsK. I couldn't remember if I told you this.)
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Her crib converts, but we aren't moving her until either potty trained or escaping

Our situation with DD was odd because she had to stay in our room due to BIL living with us. Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to move DD earlier? Experience? I'm worried about A's sleep being disrupted if we move DD2 too soon. I'm also worried about giving A enough transition time from "her" room to "the girls'" room. I guess I still can't traumatize her too badly, though
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

FWIW, K1 was really excited about sharing a room with K2. It made him feel important. And even now, he talks about looking after K2 at night and how they share a room like daddy and mommy share a room.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

T&S - I don't think she could handle it. She is all over the place in her crib and her room isn't really ok for her to be alone and free in (she doesn't have any toys in there - just a lot to make a mess with like books, diapers, clothes). I do like the fact that I know she's not terrorizing her little sister at night - unless she's attempting to throw her 1 stuffed puppy across the room into the other crib

So much to think about (unfortunately, separate rooms is not an option - they will be sharing for 2 years, possibly 3)
              Jen

Comment

I'm just a ridiculously light sleeper. Having been in a separate room helped me not jump up at every little noise they made. I literally couldn't sleep with them there. I could sleep very well if they were in bed with me, but we just have a queen bed, and the three of us didn't fit. (Loved call nights...)
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                  T&S - I don't think she could handle it. She is all over the place in her crib and her room isn't really ok for her to be alone and free in (she doesn't have any toys in there - just a lot to make a mess with like books, diapers, clothes). I do like the fact that I know she's not terrorizing her little sister at night - unless she's attempting to throw her 1 stuffed puppy across the room into the other crib

So much to think about (unfortunately, separate rooms is not an option - they will be sharing for 2 years, possibly 3)
                  Yeah, room set up is a consideration. We have it set up so she can't get into things too badly but she does toss her diapers around quite a bit as well as books, etc that we leave out - it just doesn't bother me. We make sure she's asleep before we leave the room for naps/bedtime (because that's the only way she falls asleep) and then she generally doesn't get into too much trouble before we can reach her after she wakes up.

We'll be room sharing here too if I can get pregnant again. Until the end of residency...4.3 more years but who's counting????
                  Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

If you want to avoid having the new baby in your room, I'd go ahead and get a crib and set it up in your daughter's room now. The fewer changes that happen after new baby comes the better, IMHO. However, crib or no crib, I’d wait until your new little one is very well accepted in your household before moving her into your daughter's room. That may take a day or, as it was in our case, many months. I think you’ll know when it’s right. DS1 made his ahem “feelings” about DS2 very well know. FWIW, we also really enjoy sharing a room with our babies when they are tiny. If they were being noisy or if we wanted our bedroom to ourselves, we’d just wheel their pack and play out into the hall. Just another option to consider.

Comment

Either way is fine. I like to have a crib set up because I always use it as a changing table and I like to have a safe place for baby if I'm tending to the older child. I would encourage you to leave DD1 in her crib as long as possible, especially if they are sharing rooms.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                      X