Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help me dress a summer baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me dress a summer baby

So, obviously everything is air conditioned, but I would like to be able to also take the girls for walks if it's not too hot. Should I be dressing her in mostly pants/short sleeved onesies? Or should she be in shorts/no pants? How long does she need to wear a hat for? What should I bring her home from the hospital in?

This nesting thing is a huge PITA when you have a wild toddler and an MIA husband
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Layers are beautiful! I'd probably just put her in whatever is easiest for you. Plus... one outfit will probably last 1 hour when you consider spit-up/diaper leaks/blowouts, so you can just try all of the outfit types. I'm pretty sure my newborn ds rocks more outfits in a day than Cher from Clueless.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Oh, I remember those days. Eventually you just wrap them in a blanket because you're so sick of changing them

How long is she supposed to wear a hat for? We keep the house at 72 year round, but in the summer, it gets up to 75 on really hot days.
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I know this sounds crazy, but babies can't regulate their body temp until they're 6 months old. When I taught family ed, we told parents to dress babies in one more layer than you are wearing (if you're wearing shorts, do a sleeper with nothing underneath). If baby has hair, the hat isn't as much of an issue beyond a few weeks, but for bald babies, they should wear the little hat in the A/C until they start pulling it off. Also, make sure during outside time they're in the shade and don't get overheated.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
          I know this sounds crazy, but babies can't regulate their body temp until they're 6 months old. When I taught family ed, we told parents to dress babies in one more layer than you are wearing (if you're wearing shorts, do a sleeper with nothing underneath). If baby has hair, the hat isn't as much of an issue beyond a few weeks, but for bald babies, they should wear the little hat in the A/C until they start pulling it off. Also, make sure during outside time they're in the shade and don't get overheated.
          Perfect! Thanks so much!
          Jen

Comment

For a summer baby I also loved the Aden & Anais swaddle blankets. I felt like the were breathable enough for the warm weather. They were also great for covering up the stroller or car seat to protect from the sun.
            Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by civilspouse View Post
              For a summer baby I also loved the Aden & Anais swaddle blankets. I felt like the were breathable enough for the warm weather. They were also great for covering up the stroller or car seat to protect from the sun.
              Ditto!

Comment

I can't swaddle to save my life A needed to be velcroed in, and even then, if it wasn't snug in the the right spots, she'd wiggle wiggle right out! I really liked the Summer "Swaddle Me". Halo had too much extra room until A was almost done being swaddled!
                Jen

Comment

DH tells all of our new dad friends that Dad's most important job during inpatient recovery is having the nurses teach a good swaddle. It's an invaluable skill!
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                    DH tells all of our new dad friends that Dad's most important job during inpatient recovery is having the nurses teach a good swaddle. It's an invaluable skill!
                    The have them in sleep sacks at the hospital! We "learned" how to do one...in theory! Maybe I'll just buy more swaddle blankets and bring them with to the hospital.
                    Jen

Comment

For what it's worth the Aden & Anais blankets were easier to do a swaddle in than other blankets because they are bigger and easier to tuck. I'm not trying to push them on you, everyone likes different things (I hated the velcro swaddle wraps), they just turned out to be one of my favorite baby items. At 2 1/2 DS loves them and snuggles with them at bed time, uses them to put his stuffed animals to sleep, takes them in the car in the morning. I'm planning to get more for #2 because I don't think DS will be willing to share his.
                      Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Yes. Swaddling is almost impossible if the blanket is smaller than 40x40. And it has to be super tight, no wiggle room. As soon as that first elbow is free, it's all over! My DD was quite the Houdini, so we had great results with the double swaddle. (Easier to look it up than for me to describe it.)

Also, if you can find a flannel blanket that size, I love flannel on the newborn babies more than the muslin of Aden + Anais, but it's next to impossible to find. I saw it once at TJMaxx.
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                          Also, if you can find a flannel blanket that size, I love flannel on the newborn babies more than the muslin of Aden + Anais, but it's next to impossible to find. I saw it once at TJMaxx.
                          Flannel flat twin sheet? Might be able to get two swaddling blankets that size out of one sheet...or four out of a full size.
                          Sandy
                          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Hmmmm...I like how you think
                            Jen

Comment

I always put my kids in rompers and put a light blanket over them for walks. They weren't newborns though. The youngest in the summer was G at 5 months.

Have you ever tried these? I loved them! DD1 *had* to be swaddled if I wanted any sleep. http://www.target.com/p/miracle-blan...i_sku=11027865

Comment

Working...
                              X