Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Original/Unique Baby Gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original/Unique Baby Gift

So DH's cousin just had their first child, a girl. This child is going to be spoiled beyond belief and will not need for anything. So the question is what do I send for a baby gift? I'd like to send something original or unique rather then just something off of the registry or clothes...

Is there a gift you got that was REALLY cool or something you would have never thought you needed?

Help!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Not useful but neat: One Share of Disney. My mom got the certificates framed with a cute saying (all offered as options on the one share site).
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I may be crazy, but in residency a BTDT mom gave me a basket full of her tried and true things that worked with her kids. That was by far my favorite gift. For the last baby born in our family, I did my kids' favorite cuddle blanket, an Aden and Anais blanket, Sophie, silicone bibs, Ball infants can grasp, boo boo bunny, Trumpette socks, Boogie wipes, burp cloths that are thick, and vibrating teether. It was all stuff the baby didn't have (even though he's a third child), and my cousin started using with him that day.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Oh and they're both residents if that helps anyone.

These are both good ideas - though, problem is my kids feel so far removed from infants, I'm not even sure I remember what my favorite things are

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
          Oh and they're both residents if that helps anyone.

These are both good ideas - though, problem is my kids feel so far removed from infants, I'm not even sure I remember what my favorite things are
          The last two baby showers I have gone to have been residents and the big favorite has been the butt wipe warmers. Its something one doesn't need, but its a nice extravagance I guess.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I love the favorite things idea! I think there's a thread around here of those.

Or what about a Watch Me Grow photo package? I did those for my kids on their own, taking monthly pictures with the same stuffed animal, but some photographers do them, too. You could get a stuffed animal and tie the certificate to it.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

For our first we got a personalized rocker that is just so fun. Completely unnecessary but a special treat for your first baby. Here is an example: http://www.etsy.com/listing/67051351...king-chair-for
              You can find ones much less expensive than this one though.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

That's it the chair is perfect for many reasons, one being that the grandmother and her group of friends make adult chairs like that for each of their kids' brides when they get married.

Off to search - thanks!

Comment

Recently I've been doing a "starter library" for our close friend and my cousin who had babies. I buy a basket at Michaels - something they can use for storage later on - and fill it with books that DH and I loved as kids. Make Way For Ducklings, The Berenstein Bears, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Spot Bakes a Cake, Madeline, A Fish Out Of Water, Harriet the Spy, Amelia Bedelia, Are You My Mother, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, and on and on and on.

I will arrange it all nicely in the basket and include a card that explains the impact that reading had on me and DH and kids, and how we want to share our favorites with their child. I include baby books, toddler books, young kid books, and chapter books so the kid can *hopefully* enjoy the books for years to come. Reading was a HUGE part of my childhood and all of these books are things I can remember becoming absolutely lost in when I read them - Harriet the Spy? OMG, I remember losing entire days while reading that. Nate the Great...How to Eat Fried Worms, Superfudge...so many great reading memories, I always hope to pass that along.

Plus, so rarely do people register for books and most baby gifts including books that I've seen are usually "Goodnight Moon" or that book about how much I love you or something like that. I always hope this is something that they can use and enjoy for years and years.

ETA: whoops, I just realized your original post was asking for gifts people had received that were really helpful. I can't really be helpful there, sorry!
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

For later born babies (or in this case, babies that have everything) I try to do something that is more of an heirloom, like a plaster hand print picture frame.
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

WPW, I love giving books too! I'd add The Giving Tree, The Hundred Dresses, Freckle Juice, and some baby books like Pat the Bunny...

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                        WPW, I love giving books too! I'd add The Giving Tree, The Hundred Dresses, Freckle Juice, and some baby books like Pat the Bunny...
                        I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but "Pat the Puppy", etc - NOT the same story as "Pat the Bunny". We had some emotional issues when PtB broke and we couldn't find a local replacement. The activities in PtP are more advanced, and at 20 months, DD is just now getting them It's also a lot wordier than PtB!
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Ns favorite blanket is the one vgirl crocheted. We aren't allowed to sit in the rocking chair and read books without it. Another friend made a small quilt we love too. So handmade stuff, I guess. The personalized hooded towels we got are great too!
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I sent them one of these, probably should have explained that I used to make them when I was in high school but they're a great gift and support a small family owned business in my hometown. (And they were on the cover of Martha Stewart Living in her grandkids playroom a few months ago!)

http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_comp...ame_puzzle.cfm

I really liked the chair idea but the really cool ones were just to expensive.

Comment

I think that's a great gift. My MIL got rocking chairs for each of my kids' first birthdays. I had to hide them until each child was three because they'd flip over backward in the chairs. So cute, but not very practical. . The puzzle is so cute!
                              -Deb
                              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                              X