Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Toddler Clothes Sizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toddler Clothes Sizing?

I'm starting to think about fall clothes for N, but I'm so confused on sizes. She's 31 lbs and 32 inches (I think). She's finally started to slim out some and has gotten a lot taller lately. She looks like a 3 year old, honestly.

She started out in 2T for the spring/early summer, but 2T shorts/shirts are too small and her 2T dresses are now all too short. So she is mostly in 3T now. What I'm at a loss for is pants. 3T pants fit in the butt/belly, but they are all WAY too long. I think her 18-24 months ones are too short. So that leaves 2T. I don't think I can fit that butt in 2T, but maybe she will surprise me by the time it is finally cool enough to wear them. Even the 2Ts are on the long side, though. Are there any brands that run short?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

My kids tend to bulk up and then slim down as they get taller. Right now, K2 (2yo) is about the same size as N. He seems to be getting slimmer as he's getting taller but, overall, he's got a big build. K1 (3yo) weighs about 36lbs and he's very tall (not sure how tall but he was in the 90-something percentile at his 3yo exam and he's among the tallest in his class of 3-5yo kids). Bear in mind, boys are bigger than girls in general. My boys often wear the same size. They are both wearing 3T in pjs. They are both wearing 2T shirts and polos. The 3yo can get by wearing size 2T pants though they are a little short. The 2yo can get by wearing 3T pants if we roll them up. I've even had instances where a 2T shirt is too narrow on the 2yo but fits the 3yo. So, basically, I've got a 2yo and a 3yo who are dipping into each other's wardrobes all the time. With the pants, 3T cargo pants that cuff work best for both of them. Roll them up for the 2yo, down for 3yo. It's hard to buy ahead. I usually find good sales mid-season at Gymboree.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I bet she's about to grow. D is 32 inches/24 lbs and she still fits in a lot of 2T stuff but it's becoming shorter. I bet N starts a growth spurt pretty soon (D grew two inches in the last 3 months). I'm thinking D's slowing down so I'm still focusing on 2T for the fall knowing that we may have to move to 3T in January. I'm planning on stretching a lot of clothes (dresses with leggings, etc) to try and make it to spring without buying 3T clothes though. It also depends on brands like you said, at 32 inches she seems to fit just fine in Old Navy 2T clothes but not in Gymboree or Carters.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Kids grow tall, then wide. Then tall, and wide again, over and over. For skinny kiddos, fit length and then take in the waist/body. For shorter kiddos who are at a wide growth phase, fit body and take up the length as needed. You can let the hems down if they roll into a longer phase before body sizes change.

Comment

I have a hard time with DD4. She is 17 months (as of yesterday). She is 32.5 inches and 23 lbs. She has a belly though so shirts are never long enough. Bigger sizes hang on her. Its hard to put her in dresses because she just started walking full time.
          Needs

Comment

I don't know of any brands that run just shorter. I've found the Sonoma brand at kohls runs small for my kids but it seems to be in all directions, not just length.

Whenever it's time to move up a size, I always hold up the next size pants and think ' no way will she be that tall!' And it always works out. You can always hem the 3's if you need to. I have to do that for dd5 - she as such short legs!
            Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Carter's runs small too.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I just tend to buy bottoms that are easy to roll up like leggings. Solves the length issue and extends the life of the clothing.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I have a micro child, so I'm not much help, but Hanna andersson has legging-style capris. You could try a 2T in their capris and see where they hit N in length.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                  X