Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Toddler Nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toddler Nap

DS will be 3 next month. He is getting to the point where he may or may not need a nap. Some days he can skip a nap and be fine. Other days we have had some epic meltdowns in the afternoon. I am on maternity leave right now and would selfishly like him to continue napping so I can have a break in the afternoon. He naps well most days and when he does nap it's usually 2-3 hours and he often times has to be woken up from it. It is really DH and my MIL who are encouraging dropping the nap. DH thinks we should give him a choice. I've tried explaining that no 3-year old is going to choose to take a nap. DH thinks that it shouldn't be a fight and if he's tired he will choose the nap. I think we just don't give him an option and if there is a day where he isn't going to sleep, fine, no nap. DH is also of the opinion that just because DS isn't napping I could still go take a nap or fold laundry and just instruct DS to play quietly in the living room. I've tried explaining that you can't leave a three year old to their own devices for that long. I am typically not someone who naps, but with a new baby nursing at night and DS occasionally still waking up I am trying to nap when DS naps. When did your kids stop napping and what signs did you use to make the change? There would be the advantage of not having to rush home for nap time if we quit napping and it would open up the afternoon, but the break is nice to get things done or rest if needed.
    Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

I made both of my boys give up naps by about 3.5yo, primarily bc they were staying up too late at night. I'd say by that time they were only napping half the time anyway, so the transition wasn't too bad.

I did, however, make them do "quiet time" in their rooms for an hour so *I* could get a break. I think if he's in a safe place it's fine to leave him alone so you can do other things.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

With both of my kids when they gave up naps we'd do quiet time in their room for at least an hour - I'd set a timer and if they were still awake when the timer went off they could come out of their room. With R we're now even past that because I can't afford to let him fall asleep, if he does he stays up at least that long at night if not more. But I have other opportunities to get things done now because they have school, etc.

I think if his room is very baby proof you can leave him in there even if he doesn't fall asleep to get things done. I also resorted to cartoons or an animated movie if I was desperate for a nap and one or the other wouldn't sleep.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I like the idea of quiet time in his room. His room is safe and I feel comfortable leaving him in there. He does usually go to sleep easier if he skips his nap. I should probably pay closer attention to what skipping nap does to bedtime.
        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

My son is 3.5 and he rarely skips his nap. I'm going to insist on a nap as long as I can. I don't understand why they give up naps so early? I remember naptime in kindergarten. And I remember taking a nap when I came home from school up to the 3rd grade.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

DD (3 years) doesn't nap. If she does, she'll be up for HOURS at bedtime.
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

My three still nap. D (will be 7 in August) still naps for 45min most days (4-5/7). K (4.5yo) naps 2-3h daily (and I pay when we skip it). P (will be 3 in August) naps 2h daily.

Kai gets up around 5:30 am, D and P around 6:30 am. They all fall asleep around 8 pm (bed time is 7:30 pm).
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My dd gave up her nap at 2.5 cold turkey. I'd put her down for bed at 5:30-6pm, and she'd sleep until 7:30-8 the next morning. She was so tired and angry by 4pm without the nap. An early bedtime meant that she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

She's almost 4, and if we're in the car and she dozes off for even 5
                minutes, I have the hardest time getting her to sleep at night.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I recently dropped DS's nap, but only because it was affecting bedtime (not falling asleep for 2-3 hours, then he was tired and cranky the next day). If he's just not going to sleep during naptime, but his bedtime is fine when he naps, I'd let it go. DS had a few periods where he would resist napping, but he still had to stay in his room until his alarm turned green (OK to Wake clock).
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We are also fans of quiet time here! I plan on having quiet time from 1-3 until the kids go to college! Lol
                    I need that break before the evening battles when everyone is cranky and demanding.
                    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by samssugarmomma View Post
                      We are also fans of quiet time here! I plan on having quiet time from 1-3 until the kids go to college! Lol
                      I need that break before the evening battles when everyone is cranky and demanding.
                      DH suggested that DD (21mo) stop napping. I told him that she will be in her crib from 1-3 if she wants Mommy to be nice to her
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

My boys all stopped napping around 2.5 (with the older two, that was right when the sick/exhausted phase was hitting me with the next pregnancy). Quiet time didn't really work for us, but mommy reading/dozing on the couch while the tv was on for a couple of hours did!
                        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3 View Post
                          My boys all stopped napping around 2.5 (with the older two, that was right when the sick/exhausted phase was hitting me with the next pregnancy). Quiet time didn't really work for us, but mommy reading/dozing on the couch while the tv was on for a couple of hours did!
                          This is exactly us!
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by samssugarmomma View Post
                            Amen! I NEED those hours.

Comment

Working...
                            X