Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Toddler Struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N is being a beast today. Defiant, screaming, so stubborn about everything. Destroying everything in her path. I don't believe in spanking, but I came super close today. I lightly swatted her bottom when she wouldn't turn over from her belly for a diaper change and she laughed.

She's been clingy this week too, though. Still traumatized by the flu shot she saw me get. I'm exhausted
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
      She's been clingy this week too, though. Still traumatized by the flu shot she saw me get. I'm exhausted
      H gets her first set of vax on Tuesday - I'm hoping that A doesn't freak out. Then both A and I are getting flu shots the following Monday. Yikes!

A's new thing is "almost" - she's never ever finished with anything (meals especially) unless you present her with a "better" alternative.
      Me: "Are you done in the tub?"
      A: "Almost"
      Me: "Well, after your bath, we can watch TV"
      A: "All done taking bath".

It's exhausting! I feel like about 7 months pregnant - about 2 months post-partum were my worst parenting times, and we're just rounding the corner now. Hang in there, ST (and T&S)!
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Toddler Struggles

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
        H gets her first set of vax on Tuesday - I'm hoping that A doesn't freak out. Then both A and I are getting flu shots the following Monday. Yikes!

A's new thing is "almost" - she's never ever finished with anything (meals especially) unless you present her with a "better" alternative.
        Me: "Are you done in the tub?"
        A: "Almost"
        Me: "Well, after your bath, we can watch TV"
        A: "All done taking bath".

It's exhausting! I feel like about 7 months pregnant - about 2 months post-partum were my worst parenting times, and we're just rounding the corner now. Hang in there, ST (and T&S)!
        Here's how bath ends in our house-
        "You're done when the water is gone" (start emptying tub) I'm the queen of options, but some things aren't up for discussion. DD earns the privilege of staying in while the water drains. The "almost" thing would drive me crazy, like she's just waiting for an incentive.
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

It's like that annoying Coke Zero commercial. "And?"
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
            "You're done when the water is gone" (start emptying tub) I'm the queen of options, but some things aren't up for discussion. DD earns the privilege of staying in while the water drains. The "almost" thing would drive me crazy, like she's just waiting for an incentive.
            Bath time usually ends with me saying "Ok, it's time for H's bath", but she got a bath this AM because she woke up sweaty and feverish :/

I don't like to take food away from her if she's still eating, but at some point, enough is enough. 1 noodle/5 minutes is not efficient

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
              Bath time usually ends with me saying "Ok, it's time for H's bath", but she got a bath this AM because she woke up sweaty and feverish :/

I don't like to take food away from her if she's still eating, but at some point, enough is enough. 1 noodle/5 minutes is not efficient

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
              I hear you on the food!! I have a slow eater on my house too. My 7 month old with no teeth can put away anything faster than 3 yr old dd. I'm not even kidding. He's also strangely tidier, I don't think he wants to miss a single bite. :/
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                When I did that my kids flipped the lever for the drain to stop it back up again... *sigh*
                Kris

Comment

S is so f-ing slow when she eats that we end up just leaving her sitting by herself at the table while we start to clear it. And, we typically sit there for 10-15 minutes after we are done eating waiting for her before giving up.
                  Kris

Comment

When I did that my kids flipped the lever for the drain to stop it back up again... *sigh*
                    I have to hide the plug (rubber stopper) so she wont put it back in. Lately she's been clever and will clog it with toys or the washcloth.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                      This is our house too.

Lately we've been having a horrible time getting her dressed. She screams and runs away.

I feel awful but basically every word out of my mouth is a threat - "ok, well mommy is going to church so you can stay here if you don't want to get dressed", "ok, well mommy is going inside, do you want to stay here?", etc. I really, really, really hate parenting that way but she's entering the terrible twos 4 months early apparently and I'm by myself most of the time. And yesterday she kicked my pregnant stomach like 6 times while changing her diaper. I finally had to physically hold her down and get in her face. Which again makes me feel horrible, I don't like physical intimidation either.

UGH, why do you always become EXACTLY what you don't want to become when you're under stress?
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Toddler Struggles

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                        I finally had to physically hold her down and get in her face. Which again makes me feel horrible, I don't like physical intimidation either.

UGH, why do you always become EXACTLY what you don't want to become when you're under stress?
                        There is a world of difference between physical intimidation and having to strong arm a strong-willed kiddo to prevent an injury in either themselves or you.

Toddlerhood is tough. You're an amazing mom. Don't knock yourself so hard.

And don't feel awful about the options you're giving her. You're teaching her about natural consequences and that's an extremely valuable lesson for kiddos to get.

Comment

T&S, same here too.

Don't feel bad. N has been a terror lately, but she's also been really really anxious about stuff too. She freaks out at the sight of the vacuum cleaner and was shaken up when someone knocked on the door. She saw me get a flu shot Friday and is still traumatized. I'm thinking the two are related. I'm not looking forward to interviews...having daddy gone all the time is going to be rough. I bet D isn't liking Daddy being gone either.

Comment

Having Daddy gone is certainly not helping anything. There's no one to help reason with her or to cajole her into anything so I'm just full of threats. I'm not even any fun, even I know that. I'm so stressed that she's just one of the things on my list. I feel horrible but we're in survival mode here.

And I'm sure Daddy leave again only a month after baby comes home is going to be sucktastic.

Yeah, I really had to draw the line with her kicking my pregnant stomach repeatedly. She just knows when to be such a stinker and when not to be (when Daddy or the nanny are around).
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                              This is our house too.

Lately we've been having a horrible time getting her dressed. She screams and runs away.

I feel awful but basically every word out of my mouth is a threat - "ok, well mommy is going to church so you can stay here if you don't want to get dressed", "ok, well mommy is going inside, do you want to stay here?", etc. I really, really, really hate parenting that way but she's entering the terrible twos 4 months early apparently and I'm by myself most of the time. And yesterday she kicked my pregnant stomach like 6 times while changing her diaper. I finally had to physically hold her down and get in her face. Which again makes me feel horrible, I don't like physical intimidation either.

Those aren't threats. You are being much too hard on yourself!

Right now I find Minnie responds really well to praise and loves to say "good girl"

I try and redirect her with "Can you please be a good listener?"

Of course nothing works when she's tired.

Have you tried telling her things aren't optional? Like kicking mommy is NEVER okay. And she doesn't get a choice on getting dressed. I apologize if this is stupid as I'm behind you by a few months!

Wife to PGY4
                              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                                Those aren't threats. You are being much too hard on yourself!

Right now I find Minnie responds really well to praise and loves to say "good girl"

I try and redirect her with "Can you please be a good listener?"

Of course nothing works when she's tired.

Have you tried telling her things aren't optional? Like kicking mommy is NEVER okay. And she doesn't get a choice on getting dressed. I apologize if this is stupid as I'm behind you by a few months!

Wife to PGY4
                                It's a good idea on the good girl thing. I've never tried that so I can try that at least.

I do think I need to be firmer on the kicking thing. She thinks she's being funny kicking herself away from me when I pull her close for a diaper change but it actually really hurts and I'm pretty sure it's not ideal for the fetus either.

Comment

Working...
                                X