Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Party questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party questions

We are having an "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" party for DD's "big" 2 The kids will have a craft to do (http://orientaltrading.com/mt/www.or...2-48_9013.fltr) to take home. Is it "enough" to have boxes or cellophane bags for them to take cookies home as a favor? We're going to have a round cookie cake, plus 3-4 different kinds of little cookies (plus lunch).

Also - are you an "open at the party" family or not? I'm torn. I remember opening presents at my parties (or have video thereof), but I just don't know...

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Sure. I don't get why it is a big deal.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Party questions

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
      Sure. I don't get why it is a big deal.
      Nothing more than the "pressure" to keep up with the Joneses

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Craft + cookie(s) is a great favor as far as I'm concerned. (Or either of those or neither.)

For a 2nd birthday I'm definitely in the "open gifts later" camp. It has a high potential for problems at that age.
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Last year, I threw my seven year old a 3 1/2 hour party at home, fully intending to open gifts (we'd always done a no gift request previously). We ran out of time! In the end, it may not matter, but do whatever you're comfortable with. Either way seems very acceptable right now.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious View Post
            For a 2nd birthday I'm definitely in the "open gifts later" camp. It has a high potential for problems at that age.
            That's what I'm kind of thinking

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
            Jen

Comment

I think that is a great favor idea! I always open presents at the party. My kids always feel bad that they don't actually see the birthday girl/boy open their presents. If you have a reasonable sized party it is easy to open in front of everyone, if you are looking at 15+ gifts for a two year old that might make it more difficult. I have heard people say that they don't open gifts because it's not about the gifts. If that is the case then make it a "no gift" party imo.

LOVE the party idea!! Cant wait for the pictures!!
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I have found at 2, they sometimes dont understand the opening presents idea and when they open one and then you take it away from them so that they can open another, they get very upset thinking you are actually taking it away from them. I think it just depends on your DD. Can she handle the opening of presents? Also, in the case of my AM kid, the mom has things she does not like her child having, so she opened them up on her own time later and slowly over a period of a couple weeks gave him the presents she approved of. Obviously the ability to do that isn't going to last much past this party, but for now, it works.

As for party favors, the cookie and craft are great. My PM kids come home with the silliest junk from parties that just eventually gets thrown away.
                -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

So, here are some of the party "things" that I have so far:
                  Aubrey invite NoAddy.jpg
                  Mouse.jpg
                  Mouse and Milk.jpg
                  We are going to play "pin the chip on the cookie", do a craft, and we will have a cookie cake (chocolate chip) + a ton of little cookies (mint chocolate chip, sugar, and oatmeal butterscotch). The tables will all be covered with brown kraft/butcher paper, so the kids can color on the tables! I haven't decided what we are going to have to eat or how I'm doing the milk (gallons with cups or individual "chugs"). We decided not to open presents at the party. I'm really excited
                  Jen

Comment

This is so cute! I wish I'd had this idea when my kids were two and LOVED the series.
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

That is adorable!
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                        This is so cute! I wish I'd had this idea when my kids were two and LOVED the series.
                        Thanks! When I was pg with DD1, I decided that I wanted to base the kids' parties off of their current favorite book There isn't a ton available (surprisingly) for the series (as opposed to, say, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". Her favorite is "Happy Birthday, Mouse" - which she get's so excited to read! "TODAY MOUSE'S BURD-DAY!!"
                        Jen

Comment

Working...
                        X