Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pronoun usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronoun usage

DD (22 mo) was using "I/me" for herself until yesterday. She literally woke up and now uses "you" for herself and "I/me" for me. Suggestions as to how to fix this???

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Totally normal. With B we just corrected him each time. For months he would say, "Pick you up!" and I would say, "Say pick Me up" We would also sing a song with me and you in it and point to ourselves on the me and others on the you. I forget what the song was called. I am interested to see how others dealt with it.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Does she smile when she does it? DS likes to switch he and she; it's kind of his version of a joke. If not, she may be getting confused that you refer to yourself as "I", and her brain could be working out something. I wouldn't make a big deal about it but repeat back "Can you say, 'I [whatever]?'"
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

All of my kids did that, too. My 3yo says she want me to "hold you" all the time!

My older boys are 7 and 5 now and use pronouns appropriately, so I wouldn't worry.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Lol, I love those stages! We never corrected or worried about it, just cute toddler speak IMO.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

My only concern is that she had it right for so long. Now it's über confusing at times, because she'll want me to do something, but she'll say "I go get tractor book" and then freak out because Mommy isn't getting the book

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

It is a normal process. My guess is that before she was just copying what you were saying (repeating the forms). Right now she is probably in the process of internalizing the rules for pronouns and is trying them all out before the correct version gets mapped appropriately. Very normal. The same sort of thing happens when they are a bit older when they start internalizing the rules for the past tense. All of a sudden, kids who previously said "I ran" will consistently say "I runned". Very, very normal.
              Kris

Comment

Thanks, moms

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                Jen

Comment

Not exactly pronouns but DD3 suddenly started calling neighbors cousins and vice versa. In both languages the words and concepts are completely different. She'll suddenly start asking about cousins who live behind our house or ask to stop by and visit our cousins (all cousins live in different states) and then get mad when I don't understand. This has been going on for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                    Not exactly pronouns but DD3 suddenly started calling neighbors cousins and vice versa. In both languages the words and concepts are completely different. She'll suddenly start asking about cousins who live behind our house or ask to stop by and visit our cousins (all cousins live in different states) and then get mad when I don't understand. This has been going on for a few months.
                    It's like parenting is not mentally taxing enough...

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                    Jen

Comment

Working...
                    X