Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Outgrown Kid Clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outgrown Kid Clothing

What do you do? How do you store it? Or do you toss/donate/consign? We have a bunch and I need ideas from the pros!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

The girls don't outgrow much now that they're teens. I give DS' outgrown castoffs to a gal who is raising her grandsons. Her youngest grandson is at just the right size/age to be a perfect fit for DS' stuff. And as frequently as that kid is outgrowing crap, it's not work out and still have plenty of life.

Comment

If its in good condition and you want to make some money save it for the consignment sales they have around here. I don't know them well but have a friend that makes good money selling her kids clothes twice/year. If you're interested I can get the names of the good ones from her. I send A's nice outgrown stuff to my sister who has two girls and then we donate the rest (most of R's stuff isn't in great condition). I'd rather have the tax right off then spend the time on selling it but I hear its good money if you have good stuff.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've been trying to give away our kids' clothes since we decided we were done having kids last fall, and I've come to the conclusion that kid's clothes are like fruitcake! No one wants them!

I just put a bunch into the Just Between Friends sale this weekend, but I think I'm going to end up disappointed with my commission. It was a lot of work, safety pinning each piece to hangers (and buying the hangers and safety pins) and printing tags for each item. I'll be a lot more selective about what I put in next sale, based on what did well this time. (I'll look up my sale log and post observations when the sale closes today.) I'll probably take the rest to Goodwill or Salvation Army.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

If I know someone who could use them I give them otherwise I throw out or donate depending on the quality.
          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
            If its in good condition and you want to make some money save it for the consignment sales they have around here. I don't know them well but have a friend that makes good money selling her kids clothes twice/year. If you're interested I can get the names of the good ones from her. I send A's nice outgrown stuff to my sister who has two girls and then we donate the rest (most of R's stuff isn't in great condition). I'd rather have the tax right off then spend the time on selling it but I hear its good money if you have good stuff.
            I'd like this info. I haven't done consignment sales but I used to take the boys' outgrown clothes in good condition to resale shops. After the clothes have gone through two boys, most of them are rags but every so often there are a few things they didn't wear too much. Admittedly, I spend more in resale shops than I make but it helps set off the cost of "new" clothes for the kids. Sometimes, I can send some of K2's cast offs to my nephew -- he's only 6mo younger than K2 but he's tiny. Every so often, my SIL will ask whether we have a winter coat or something like that and he can wear K2's from the year prior. IDK what I'm going to do with little girl's clothes. Probably consign.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We kept clothes from DD1 to DD2, but now, as DD2 rapidly outgrows things, they go either to consignment or a box for consignment (if the season is wrong). Our consignment store donates anything that they don't consign. I keep very little (like maybe 1-2 outfits per size) once DD2 is done. We keep everything in plastic totes by size. Within each tote, we have clothes in vacuum bags for extra protection and more storage!
              IMG_2542.jpg
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Right now, we are storing ours since we don't know what #2 is. But I'd be interested in the consignment details too LM. I've bought tons at those stores but never sold anything since we know we aren't done having babies regardless of the gender of this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Selling all my girls clothes except for some classics and favorites at a consignment sale in Feb. Will help pay for the boy wardrobe!
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We have always kept everything in good repair and either donated or thrown away the rest. The older girls love seeing their younger sisters in their clothes and it has saved us a ton of money.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                    X