Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kindle Fire Apps for Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindle Fire Apps for Kids

MIL and FIL got the kids a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I know several of you have them for younger kids. What are some good apps for 2-3.5 year olds? Do they like to look at books on them, or do they prefer real books?

Also, please help me overcome my jealousy. I love my 2nd generation Kindle, but man, the Fire is sweet! I may steal it occasionally...
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Monkey Lunchbox!
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

DD also likes the drawing app and the memory game one. And everything by Toca Boca has been a big hit. If you don't mind them watching cartoons, PBS has an app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

N got one too (Grandma). I didn't even know there were apps.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          N got one too (Grandma). I didn't even know there were apps.
          A Kindle Fire is basically an android tablet with (by default) only access to apps that are in the amazon app store, and a customized app launcher/interface (the carousel). So almost anything in the amazon app store is able to be run on a kindle fire.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I've been so firmly planted in the Apple world that I need some advice.

I moved to an iMac last year and DH has plans to move to desktop. We just sold our old, slow iPad and I'm thinking about getting an iPad mini (with the money we made off the sold ipad and a Christmas giftcard I have, we could pay for it without digging into our cashflow).

My reasoning for wanting the mini is to have something to take on trips, have out in the living room (my iMac is in the bedroom), and just have something mobile so the adults aren't confined to a different room when we just want to look up something.

However, since N got a Kindle fire, I'm wondering if getting an iPad is overkill. Use of the old one was limited because it was slow and didn't have a camera, but I really only used it for browsing and IMSN. I can do IMSN on my phone, as well as Facetime and access most of the apps I would use.

How is the Kindle for internet browsing? Are there any "adult" apps (I'm thinking banking, etc) that you can use it for. I mean really, the 2 year old can share her Kindle with mommy and daddy.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

yes. The amazon app store has *most* of the apps that the google play store does (with some exceptions). There's a built-in browser (called silk), and a ton of apps, including tapatalk. Go to "apps" on it and search.

I use it for some browsing, but I don't use the built-in browser (I sideloaded chrome on mine), and I also have the second-gen fire (fire HD), not the latest-greatest one, so I don't really know how it browses the web out of the box.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Sold!

This means I get a fitbit

I'm pretty sure I was one of the naysayers when the iPad came out (what do I need a tablet for?) and here I am insisting we need a tablet. Funny how you "find" needs for new products.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                  A Kindle Fire is basically an android tablet with (by default) only access to apps that are in the amazon app store, and a customized app launcher/interface (the carousel). So almost anything in the amazon app store is able to be run on a kindle fire.
                  So I have not found this to be true - the kids will tell me they want an app, I'll see its available on google apps but then the Amazon store doesn't have it - is there something I can download to get around that?

We use the Kindle FreeTime Unlimited because it seems to be the only way I can get the good apps the kids want however it also gives them stuff I don't want so its a double edged sword.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

How does the freetime thing work? Is it a setting or something you pay for?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                      So I have not found this to be true - the kids will tell me they want an app, I'll see its available on google apps but then the Amazon store doesn't have it - is there something I can download to get around that?

We use the Kindle FreeTime Unlimited because it seems to be the only way I can get the good apps the kids want however it also gives them stuff I don't want so its a double edged sword.
                      Right. Not everything in the google play store is in the amazon app store, but a lot of it is, and everything that's in the amazon app store (and that runs on a tablet) is available in the 'apps' section on the kindle fire, in my experience.

Does the freetime utility really have apps in it that aren't in the amazon app store? I find that odd. Of course, that may be how they get parents to pay $3-6 per month...

ST, freetime unlimited is a utility you pay for: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000863021
                      Sandy

Comment

Yes, FreeTime unlimited is like $3 month or $6 for a family, I think.

There are DEFINITELY apps in FreeTime that I have searched all over Amazon for to no avail. That is why we continue to pay for it because there are way more educational apps in FreeTime then without.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Just FYI because I totally agree that you can use the Kindle but...

The new iPads are great. We upgraded from an original iPad to the Air last month and I use it constantly.

Honestly, I am wondering if I'll use the laptop that much. So much of my work has moved to the tablet I the last month. It's great for photo editing, movie making and cloud based work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I have no idea about the kindles, but I just got a mini iPad, and I'm in love

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                            Jen
                            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                            X