Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Parent Light Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent Light Switch

Anybody know of a light switch that can be installed that keeps kids from turning on the light? R turns his on as soon as we leave his room at night, we turn it off when we go to bed but then if he wakes up in the middle of the night he turns it back on. Of course this is all affecting his sleep schedule and I really think the only solution is going to be making it so he can't turn on his overhead light at night??
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

The only thing I can think of is to have the switch wired to outside his room (the hall). Otherwise, you can start getting switches wired for iPhone control (like Control4).
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Parent Light Switch

Does he have a nightlight he can control? We went through a similar stage and removed the light for a week or so until we offered the privilege back.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I googled a little and found this: http://www.amazon.com/LightSwitchGua.../dp/B001J2DOG0
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Thanks LJ but unfortunately his light is a dimmer which I also need to change out though b/c it no longer dims.

He does have a nightlight and he has two lamps (of course one of them doesn't work) but I don't like to let him have the lamp on b/c its just as bright as the overhead. I've tried to find a REALLY dim bulb for it to no avail.

That Control4 is cool, I wonder how that works with CFLs and whether or not they're wireless - do you just replace existing light switches with them?

Comment

Not sure - we're looking at it from the perspective of installing it as our house is being built (~5 years from now) I do know that it's possible to retrofit, but I'm not sure of the logistics
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

How much is it effecting his sleep? Does the light provide comfort that allows him to sleep? This is one of those things I would just leave alone. In six months you'll likely find the light stays off and there will be a different issue.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think when he goes to bed initially it is a comfort which is why we let him do it and then we turn it off when we go to bed but the problem is when he wakes up in the middle of the night to go potty or get a drink, turns it back on then doesn't go right back to sleep. He is awake for who knows how long, unless I hear him or he comes into our room I don't know that he's up. It is affecting his sleep in that he has fallen asleep at school recently.

Maybe we can try the lamp and see if that helps, I really don't want to set the precedent of leaving his overhead light on.

Comment

What about giving him a flashlight?
                  Jen

Comment

He has one See? He's tricky!

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                      How much is it effecting his sleep? Does the light provide comfort that allows him to sleep? This is one of those things I would just leave alone. In six months you'll likely find the light stays off and there will be a different issue.
                      I was going to say this. K2 does the same that R is doing and he is sharing a room with his brother. K1 usually sleeps through it. They have sort of an unspoken agreement that the lights stay on until they go to sleep. K1 just shields his eyes and falls asleep quickly. K2 has always been a light sleeper so it takes him longer. We turn off the lights after they go to bed but K2 will almost always turn them back on. The light is on a ceiling fan so we could probably just turn it off with the chain that attaches to the fixture but we just let this one go figuring he'll get past it.
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Remove the light bulb for a week or two and it may break the habit.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Meenah View Post
                          Remove the light bulb for a week or two and it may break the habit.
                          I did this when DD#2 started that nonsense. She was super-pissed that she had to stumble around in the dark to go to the potty. She stopped switching on the lights.

But he change of habit may have been in part because her older sister, with whom she shares a room, told her: "MATILDA! It is dark in the bathroom and it is all your fault! You are NOT MY FRIEND TONIGHT!" Matilda gets really upset when DD#1 tells her she is not her friend.

Comment

So now he says it's about dreams but I don't really is or if it's because his sister has been talking about dreams a lot last couple days. I'm ready to twist out the lightbulbs if I have to...

Comment

You have nothing to lose by trying it, except maybe a pissed off toddler!
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X