Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Parent Light Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meenah View Post
    You have nothing to lose by trying it, except maybe a pissed off toddler!
    That's sort of their natural state anyway so NBD.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
      That's sort of their natural state anyway so NBD.
      *thread hijack*

This week's This American Life podcast is about "monster babies", and a guy who's written a book on "bad babies" was on and he said he's convinced that asking when people "go bad" is the wrong question; that sociopaths are adults who, for whatever reason, are two year olds who didn't develop empathy and other social coping strategies. Ira pulled out this quote, too: "Families survive the terrible twos because toddlers aren’t strong enough to kill with their hands & aren’t capable of using lethal weapons"

*/thread hijack*
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
        *thread hijack*

This week's This American Life podcast is about "monster babies", and a guy who's written a book on "bad babies" was on and he said he's convinced that asking when people "go bad" is the wrong question; that sociopaths are adults who, for whatever reason, are two year olds who didn't develop empathy and other social coping strategies. Ira pulled out this quote, too: "Families survive the terrible twos because toddlers aren’t strong enough to kill with their hands & aren’t capable of using lethal weapons"

*/thread hijack*

There is some truth in that statement.

I have a fan girl crush on Ira.

C-take out the light bulbs and tell him he gets them back when he can use them appropriately.
        Kris

Comment

I took out 4 of the 5 we'll see how it goes
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

So we have finally figured out that all lights on, sleeping in weird places, not wanting to go to sleep is because he's having bad dreams. I feel so bad for him but I don't know what to do?? He told me tonight he didn't want to go to sleep because he didn't want to dream. I snuggled with him and reminded him that dreams aren't real and that mommy and daddy will always protect him. I haven't heard him cry out in his sleep lately but obviously they're still bothering him. Any ideas for what to do?
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Poor little guy. 😟

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I would let him do what makes him comfortable. If he wants a light on or the door open or garlic cloves hanging by his bed (). Let him know he can come to you anytime when he is scared (I'm sure he knows this but sometimes they need a reminder to come see you and daddy in the middle of the night). He will outgrow the dreams that are bothering him.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                  He told me tonight he didn't want to go to sleep because he didn't want to dream.
                  How is it that our boys' sleep problems are all so similar?! DS has been saying the exact same thing! I don't have a good solution, obviously. I've been telling him if he's scared, he can call for me, and I will come. We also got him a Dream Light turtle (projects stars), and he has a Flashlight Friend dragon. We also have a nightlight and let him sleep with his door open if he wants. When he has bad dreams, I let him talk them through, and we talk a lot about "next time". For example, he had a nightmare about a big, and we talked about next time if he dreams about it, he can just stomp on it. I don't know that it actually helps, but it seems to help calm him down at the time.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                  X