Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Adult dishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult dishes

At what age do you stop using kid dishes? The kids are still using plastic cups, plates, bowls, special silverware. I'm wondering if I can get rid of all of that after the kitchen remodel in the fall??
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

My youngest is 3yo, none of my kids use the plastic dishes/bowls/etc anymore and just use the regular dishes and silverware that DH and I use.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

The only reason my kids still use Ikea fare is for my convenience. I have them all in a low cabinet so the kids can put the dishes away, set the table, get their own drinks, etc. If our kitchen had a more kid-friendly flow I'd switch them over. For adults (because H breaks everything), I have Corelle, and it's even survived his abuses. I would think about going for something like that so that if it gets dropped, nothing will break or chip.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I was thinking about this the other day. A uses regular stuff when we're at a restaurant, but we also use the Ikea stuff here. I will probably keep it around until after fellowship - A will be turning 5 and H will have just turned 3.
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Mine are using some of each, depending on what we're eating and the situation. I'd give it a trial run and see how they like it. Kitchen remodel does seem like an opportune time to make the switch.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I guess my issue is that my dishes are Pfaltzgraff and they're HEAVY! Maybe we should store them and use them for nicer meals when we don't want to use the China and get something like the Corelle. The Pfaltzgraff are 12 years old and I'm kind of tired of them anyway

Comment

I get the fun season plastic plates from Target. Right now we have heart shaped valentines plates. Mostly they just like the changes and decor.
              -Ladybug

Comment

My 12 year still uses kid plates. Haha. We use,real plates for dinner most of the time. We still use plastic cups with their names I'm them.
                Needs

Comment

We've always used real plates. We have some plastic plates and lots of sippy cups but I see no reason why kids need to use plastic plates (except for the fact that some of them are super fun and cute).
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

What are the best everyday dishes?

I have Ikea 365+ dishes. They were super cheap. Like $40 for 8 place settings. I like them. I've had them for a long time, but they have a few things that make me dislike them intensely.

They get super, insanely, wicked hot. They may get hotter than the food you are trying to heat in the microwave.

The bowls are shaped a little funny for putting in the dishwasher effectively.

I've heard great things about pottery barn's dishes, but yipes.

I don't want to do Corelle, I grew up with it though, and it's great for kids.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

My Pfaltzgraff are great plates, sturdy, very few chips after 12 years. My MIL also has some she loves, I think they start with a D?

Comment

I have a set of cheap pfalztcraft that we use frequently, but our go-to dishes are plastic. They are in a lower cupboard where the kids can reach them, which means even Sophie can be responsible for setting the dinner table.

Mine are from Target and are one of the sets they have this time of year for outdoor dining. They are as stylish as cheap plastic plates can be, no pictures, etc.
                        Kris

Comment

I do like the aspect of the kids reaching them but I don't think that will be an issue on the new kitchen bc I'm planning to have a drawer for the dishes instead of putting them in an upper cabinet.

Comment

Since you're reconfiguring, I think it's a perfect time to make the switch.
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                              My Pfaltzgraff are great plates, sturdy, very few chips after 12 years. My MIL also has some she loves, I think they start with a D?
                              Probaby Denby. That's what we have, and what my parents still have after almost 50 years. Love my Denby dishes.
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X