Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gaining Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaining Weight

I've mentioned this briefly elsewhere, but I thought I'd consolidate the discussion into its own thread, because I have a feeling this will be ongoing. To summarize, E is a tiny baby, which was always a possibility given my size (5'1" - although hubby is 6'2", so either was likely). She was 5lbs 14oz, 19" when she was born at 39 weeks (though I think the pedi measured her up to an inch shorter a few days later). At 1 month, she was 7lbs, 19.5", and 2 months she was 8lbs 9oz, 21". Tiny, but on her own curve at the 3rd percentile. At 3 and 4 months, she started falling off of her curve. At 4 months, she was 10lbs, 22.5" (0.14 percentile weight, 0.5 height), and the doctor diagnosed failure to thrive (or at least put it on her problem list - she never used the term with me personally). For reference, I was also 22.5" but 11lbs at 4 months.

She's exclusively breastfed so far, normally 7-8 feedings/day depending on how well she sleeps though the night (which is not well at all lately despite sleeping for 10 hours consistently until about a month and a half ago. The plan was to increase her 2 bottles at daycare from 4 to 5oz, and to give up to 2oz in bottles after nursing. The first weekend I supplemented all of her feedings, but I can only pump a limited amount each day, and I had about 60oz in the freezer. Once the week started, I just upped her bottles at school, nursed more frequently in the evenings and overnight, and only gave her the supplemental bottle at bedtime - even with that, I was going through my freezer stash rapidly, with half of it gone midway through the week. I'm doing everything I can to increase my supply - power pumping, supplements, tons of water, oatmeal, dark beers, switching to a hospital grade pump, warm compresses, tandem pumping, etc. At this point, I'm debating when and if to add in formula. We considered adding in solids instead, but we're not quite sure she's ready yet at 4.5 months. We go back for another weight check on Friday, and we'll see where she is.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Have you tried supplementing with formula to see how she took it (gassy, etc.)?
    -Ladybug

Comment

I haven't yet - I'm a little afraid if I start supplementing with formula that she'll stop nursing, or nurse less. I'm a little stubborn, and I want to make sure that I've tried everything else with breastmilk and that she absolutely needs it before we go there.

I forgot to mention - she wasn't acting hungry in between feedings, she's generally a happy baby, and she's hitting all of her milestones. After a week of feeding more, she is finally acting hungry more often, so I'm hoping that the little bit of extra bottles kickstarted a growth spurt.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Our younger kiddos started solids at just shy of 4 months old with no issues. I would likely start with a supplemental bottle of formula once a day. If she tolerates it then I would try a little rice cereal mixed in formula in the evening. I know you were also small as a baby but I would be concerned that she isn't maintaining her growth curve. No reason to stop nursing, just add a little something extra Keep us posted!!!
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I got more pumped milk today than I have ever - 10oz so far, and I imagine I'll get at least another ounce this evening now that she's asleep. I also had an ounce leftover from last night, so that was enough for her 2 bottles at daycare for tomorrow plus her supplemental bottle this evening. If my supply is finally increased, and I have enough to nurse + give her bottles from that, I'd like to keep that up instead of adding in the formula, as long as she's gained enough by Friday. Naturally, stressing out about it doesn't help my milk output!

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about supplementing. When DS was getting breastmilk and formula, he always preferred the 'good stuff' as we called it. If she's taking the extra milk, she probably does need it.
            She will tell you when she's ready for solids. Does she watch you eat? We knew DS was ready at 4 months when he loved to watch us eat.
            Although I would try the formula first. The last thing you want is her getting too excited about food and drinking less. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I was never on a growth curve either although I think my girls might take more after their dad.

I think it depends on whether you think E is ready for solids. All things being equal, I'd rather go with solids rather than formula because I'm also stubborn about trying to EBF. I struggled with supply for my older daughter because she had horrible reflux and spit up 50% or more of whatever she ate. That being said, I know E is ~10 days older than D (11/27/13) and I don't think D is anywhere near ready for solids. She just doesn't have the head control yet although since we start with solids (not purees), I may be skewing a little old in my opinion of "ready for solids".

I do think when you post pics/videos of her on FB, she looks like she's doing awesome and hitting all her milestones! She's doing the exersaucer and D definitely can't do that yet based on head control. I do think if you're going to do solids, I like the idea of mixing it with breastmilk so she's still getting the milk.

Also, excuse the prying question but did you restart hormonal birth control? Because I have two friends who had that KILL their supply. That could also be a potential cause because it tricks your body into thinking you're pregnant and therefore wouldn't need milk.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I didn't think she was ready for solids, but tonight at dinner she watched every single bite that went into my mouth, so I'm starting to reconsider that. She does have excellent head control at this point. I didn't want to start with rice cereal, but I do like the idea that I can mix it with breastmilk.

I started the mini pill at 6 weeks postpartum, so that hasn't changed recently. It's possible that my cycle came back, but I haven't had any bleeding since my weird off/on bleeding around 2 months maybe. And I think I took a pregnancy test a couple of weeks ago, because I'm crazy, of course (it was negative).

Comment

We has a weight gain scare with DS when he was only a few weeks old, so I started supplementing with formula after each nursing session while I tried to up my supply. It only took a few weeks of doing that and we were able to get back to nursing full time, and he didn't have any problem with the transition. Like you, I was worried that supplementing would make it hard to go back to breastfeeding full-time, but that wasn't the case at all. It ended up being a very temporary solution that helped us get back on track. As far as my supply, I found that I was pumping WAY more in the middle of the night and early morning, so I started waking up 2x a night just to pump on my own in bed. It sucked, but I only had to do it for a few weeks.

I remember being so freaked out when the ped said DS wasn't gaining weight, and thinking we were never going to be able to breastfeed successfully, but in the end everything ended up working out and we were able to keep it up for 15+ months. If it's really important for you that she get breast milk, just keep at it. Supplementing with formula isn't going to ruin your ability to nurse as long as you're still pumping and feeding on demand, at least not in my opinion.

Comment

I was able to pump about 11.5oz today, so combined with some leftovers from yesterday, I made her 2 daycare bottles and her supplemental bottle without pulling from stash. Right now I'm pumping 5 times/day - once in the morning with the PIS after I nurse her and shower, because I always have the most milk then, 3 times most days at work either with the PIS or the Lactina, and a tandem manual pump when I do her dreamfeed. When I get a chance, I pump with the manual after I nurse, but with hubby not usually home, and her currently wanting a lot of attention, it's not happening as often as I'd like.

Comment

Oh yes, I remember how much it sucked trying to pump after nursing when DH wasn't home and DS wanted to be held. It sounds like you're really going through it right now, but it will get better! You're a tough mama

Comment

We are going through the same thing right now with DS, almost six months. He has fallen off the weight charts too and has been diagnosed with failure to thrive. As of today, he weighs 12lbs 11oz.

We have identified the problem as me having low milk supply. He was only transferring about 1 oz per feeding. He is entirely breastfed. He will not take a bottle/sippy cup from anyone. I would LOVE for him to take formula from a bottle, but we can't get him to do it. We are having some success with the supplemental nursing system. He will take about 2oz of formula per feeding that way. It just takes a long time.

I did not struggle with nursing my three older children so this has really taken me by surprise. It is so stressful.

I wouldn't worry too much about her taking a bottle. You're fortunate that she will. She will always prefer nursing to the bottle.
                        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I talked to the LCs last week and will probably make an appointment soon to make sure there's not a problem there. They were totally booked last week and for whatever reason didn't want to go ahead and book me for this week. They also have terribly inconvenient hours, but I guess most of the women they work with are still on maternity leave.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                            I talked to the LCs last week and will probably make an appointment soon to make sure there's not a problem there. They were totally booked last week and for whatever reason didn't want to go ahead and book me for this week. They also have terribly inconvenient hours, but I guess most of the women they work with are still on maternity leave.

Can you find an LC who can come to your house? I went through a handful before I found one I clicked with.

Comment

I probably could, but I do really like the LCs at the hospital.

Comment

Working...
                              X