Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Reflux??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflux??

OK experienced mamas... I need help... any btdt advice until I can see a pediatrician would be appreciated

I believe E has bad reflux, but I am not a Dr. He is constantly chewing on spit up, even when sleeping, he has hiccups at least three times a day and he used to sleep from 9-4:30 but now he is waking up between 12am-2am at some point choking on spit up. Once he wakes up from his "long" sleep he wants to feed every two hours. For a while now when he would nurse he would take a sip and turn his head to the side. Today every time he has nursed he takes a sip or two and then arches his entire back like he is in a back bend. He will eat well when I give him a bottle at night, and nurses fairly well when he feeds in the early AM hours, but during the day he wants to feed, then barely eats and then wants to feed again before two hours unless we are out and about and the car or stroller is soothing him. I try and make him wait the two hours and he screams like someone is murdering him. He is so exhausted from all this he barely is awake long enough to play for a few minutes and then starts yawning and rubbing his eyes.

Is he just spoiled and trying to "snack feed" during the day, or do you think the reflux is causing issues and is there something I should be doing for him?
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Reflux??

I dunno about the reflux because I think in the end BabyJ didn't have it and was just a diva, but I would let him nurse whenever he wants to for now. If he's hungry, he's hungry. BabyJ is more of a "snacker" too. They get better at "getting to it" when they are older.

Could he be in the middle of a growth spurt?

ETA: the nursing schedule doesn't sound unusual but I don't know about the spit up
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Okay, very most important thing to remember is that babies cannot be spoiled and they are not manipulative so you can let go of that worry.

He sounds refluxy to me. Lots of classic signs. I would go see your doc. Dd1 started on Zantac which worked for a week and then stopped so we went to Prevacid and it was a miracle drug for her. Once you start the meds you will know if it's reflux. Good luck and keep us posted!!
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
        Okay, very most important thing to remember is that babies cannot be spoiled and they are not manipulative so you can let go of that worry.

He sounds refluxy to me. Lots of classic signs. I would go see your doc. Dd1 started on Zantac which worked for a week and then stopped so we went to Prevacid and it was a miracle drug for her. Once you start the meds you will know if it's reflux. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Yeah, I want to see a Doc, but unfortunately we are still waiting for fellowship insurance to go through. The moment I have our card number I will be on the phone trying to find a pediatrician and at this point, the pediatrician with the first appointment wins.
        -L.Jane

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
          Yeah, I want to see a Doc, but unfortunately we are still waiting for fellowship insurance to go through. The moment I have our card number I will be on the phone trying to find a pediatrician and at this point, the pediatrician with the first appointment wins.
          oh that stinks! Are you on Cobra?
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
            oh that stinks! Are you on Cobra?

No because our new insurance was supposed to start July 1st after our old one ended on June 30th, but this whole fellowship paperwork has been a clusterf$%*
            -L.Jane

Comment

but unfortunately we are still waiting for fellowship insurance to go through
              This is still going on? I want to kill them for you.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

we finally got to sign up on thurs... just waiting for it to process... and got our first paycheck on the first... although its missing a week.... yeah...
                -L.Jane

Comment

Sounds like reflux and honestly, time is of the essence. If he starts developing feeding aversions, it'll be a long road. Don't mean to scare you, but take your kid in (at most $200 for an appt and maybe $20-30 for generic ranitidine?). The doc may even prescribe it over the phone, as she did in my case, saving you the appt.

Dd2 developed symptoms and I was on top of it in a hurry.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I think you're right about the reflux. The back arching was my clue with DS - he barely ever spit up. While you're waiting on the appointment, I'd let him nurse in small sessions fairly often so his belly doesn't get too full, and hold him upright for a little while after he eats. If it's overnight and you're a light sleeper, you can recline in a chair with him on your chest, belly to belly. (If you don't wake up easily, though, this can be dangerous.)
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

do you blurb the baby? i used to hold my dd at 45 degrees for an hour because i couldn't blurb her.

Comment

I want to piggyback on this question because I'm not thinking my 6 week old may have reflux. He is a great eater, but has been spitting up more these days. I didn't think much of it until I realized he hates sleeping on flat surfaces (will wake up within moments in his bassinet, but will sleep like a champ in the bouncy seat or mamaroo even when it is not in motion) and cries AFTER eating. I rock him upright and he kicks off of my legs ferociously until I can basically lull him to sleep. This mainly happens during the day though and not so much at night (though I know he does spit up in the bassinet because the sheet is getting dirty each night).

Clearly this is my first baby and I'm clueless so before my mind ever went to reflux I thought hungry, tired, needs to poop, and/or nearing the age of typical peak fussiness so this is "normal". I can no longer help but feel like this isn't actually normal...What say the experienced mamas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X