Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Never wake a sleeping baby??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never wake a sleeping baby??

DS sleeps practically all afternoon and evening each day, and then he's ready to party at 8 or 9 when we go to sleep. He's only 3.5 weeks old, so I know he's still working on sorting out day from night. I'm just wondering if I should be doing more to wake him in the afternoon so he'll be sleepier at night, or if I should just follow his lead and wait for him to figure it out on his own. Thoughts?

Sounds like he is moving into a day/night reversal of sorts. When my kiddos did that I would nurse every 2 hours all day long whether they were sleeping or not. I think it helped them organize their sleep better.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think I woke E to nurse every 2-4 hours when she was really tiny, trying to get her on more of a good day/night schedule. We did get on a schedule, but I don't know for sure whether it was waking her or her just figuring it out.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
        Sounds like he is moving into a day/night reversal of sorts. When my kiddos did that I would nurse every 2 hours all day long whether they were sleeping or not. I think it helped them organize their sleep better.
        Yup. K1 used to sleep all day. Then his eyes would pop open at 11pm and he'd scream until sunrise. I used to peek through the blinds praying for daylight so I could go to sleep. DrK was working nights too. We had a sitter who used to come over in the middle of the night to hold him just to assure that I wouldn't snap when I was alone with a screaming baby in the wee hours.

Eventually, we did daylight outings and feeding every 2 hours during the day. It was exhausting because it meant that I was awake all day and all night but it sorted out pretty quickly after that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I'd totally wake him up. I need sleep for my sanity. My mom was amazing at keeping DD up from 5-9 p.m. Then she got a bath, I nursed her and she usually slept 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. That five hour stretch made life so much more maneagable.

You may have to play around with it, but I definitely wouldn't let him keep sleeping all afternoon.

My mom would lay DD on the kitchen table or hard floor (and talk to her). Something about the hard surface makes them wake right up!

Wife of a PGY-5
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

No advice, but I came looking for photographic evidence of said sleeping baby.
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
              No advice, but I came looking for photographic evidence of said sleeping baby.
              Photo evidence! Sleeping in the backyard while big brother plays soccer with mom.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411004361.188395.jpg

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to start waking him during the day, and I'll report back with the results. DH is back from his conference, so at least I won't be doing it all alone tonight.

Comment

Awwwww, those cheeks!
                Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Oh Lordy, he is a cutie pie!!!
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Adorable!!
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Cutie!
                      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Super cute! Man it wasn't even that long ago and those days are hazy again. I think I started not necessarily waking him up, but trying to keep him awake longer during that time.

I remember getting annoyed at my mom with both kids at this age because she would go into this crazy grandma mode and view getting the kid to sleep as the ultimate goal and I'd be like NOOOOOOO
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Sooo cute!! I agree with ST about keeping him up longer during the day, but especially the evening hours.

Our little guy rock and rolls from about 6-10 every night and it definitely helps him to sleep a long stretch once he goes to sleep. He has even started moving his bedtime earlier on his own now most evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with ST. No lulling or rocking back to sleep. Stay strong.

Take him outside. It doesn't have to be a walk or anything, but get him sunlight and play harass play play with him.
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                            X