Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Nap schedule conflicts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nap schedule conflicts

With E moving up to her new class soon, we're working on transitioning her schedule. In her new class, they eat lunch at 11 and nap from 11:45 to 1:45. On Sundays though, we're at church until noon. She's never napped well, if at all, in the nursery at church, so she pretty much always falls asleep on the way home. In the past, we've woken her up and fed her lunch, because she's always had a later nap too. I'm not sure what to do now though. I tried to keep her awake on the way home so I could feed her and just give her a later nap, but I failed, and she fell asleep. In the long term, I'd like to get her to just nap late on Sundays, but I'm not sure what to do in the meantime. Any better suggestions for keeping her awake? It's a 15 minute drive, max, usually. I was just going to feed her and then put her down immediately after, but hubby decided she needed to stay asleep, so he's in there now working on that. I kind of hate that I can't pick a schedule that is more convenient, but the daycare schedule is set.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Haha, he gave up rocking her and asked me to go in. I grabbed her and sat down, and she looked at me, signed "all done", and started laughing. I lost it. I fed her lunch, and now she's back in her crib trying again.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Once DS1 starts falling asleep in the car there's nothing I can do to keep him awake. I've tried poking him, rolling down the windows, etc. and nothing worked. Now when it happens (rarely) I just go with it and keep driving around so he can get as long a nap in the car as possible.

Comment

When we are going to be out close to lunch/nap time I pack a small picnic. Now that it's colder we sometimes eat in the van before leaving but then if DD falls asleep on the way home it's no big deal. Could you feed her a quick lunch before leaving church?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

If you have your hubby with you take advantage of the car nap. When dh and I just had one or two littles we'd let them fall asleep, go pick up some sandwiches from a great deli in Los Altos and then find a nice place to park. We'd eat lunch, chat, and just enjoy the time together. Those are some very special times.

Don't get too worried about the schedule. If she falls asleep, let her. If you don't want her to have a car nap then transfer when you get home. If she doesn't transfer then just go on with the day and plan on a power nap.

Your other option would be to go to an earlier service if that is possible.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Hubby is with me less than half of the time, since he has to work a lot of weekends. He usually gets done while we're in church, so we're heading home to see him and eat lunch together.

We go to a small church, so unfortunately this is our only option. She ended up sleeping after lunch for maybe half an hour, then started melting down around 3 so we put her back down. She woke up in an absolute fit, and wouldn't stop crying for anything, so I figured her teeth were hurting and gave her some tylenol. I think once she gets used to the one nap schedule, it won't be so bad, otherwise we'll probably just wake her up and play it by ear, adding in a later nap if necessary.

Comment

This is where I'm gonna sound like a clucking old hen:

It'll all work out. Their naps move around, disappear, come back, etc. etc. I used to stress out, and find myself running around in circles chasing that da*n nap. It's crazy-making. You want them to be all happy and well-rested, and they go and mess that all up for themselves. I like Tara's suggestion, but mine wake up as soon as the car turns off.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                , but mine wake up as soon as the car turns off.
                Ours too, we just keep it running, lol
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                  Ours too, we just keep it running, lol
                  Tara!!!
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Is she close to walking? C was an absolute mess just before he walked. He didn't want to sleep, was super clingy. He was teething too of course. Once he started walking he was much better.
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Yes, she's close - she'll stand for a few second at a time when she forgets that she's supposed to be holding on. She's also had 2 teeth break through since Friday, with at least 3 more very close behind.

Comment

Ugh, I hate teething so much. C is on his 9th tooth in 3 months, a molar. I hope they come quickly for E!
                        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                        X