Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Traveling with a toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with a toddler

I know there have been some recent posts about this but I can't seem to find them...Feel free to to point me in the right direction so you guys don't have to write the same thing over.
    We're flying international with DS in April. It's a 7 hour flight and is a red eye going, morning flight coming back. In other words, not fun!
    I'm confused about the car seat thing. He'll be 18 months and I've never seen a child his age in a car seat on this flight (we've taken it many times). I want to do whatever is safe but I don't know how long he would sleep in the car seat if we bring it, particularly on the red eye. I feel like he would sleep better lying between us with the seat belt on but the car seat would be more comfortable for when he's awake. He'll have his own seat.

We'll be staying at a hotel but spending pretty much all day at my parents house. I'm wondering if it's worth asking them to get a cheap booster seat or high chair for him if we can't borrow one.
    We're planning on bringing a few toys, books and shows for him to watch on the Kindle. Any other tips?
    There's also the time difference. They're 5 hours ahead. This kid will be so pissed. He loves his sleep. I'm looking forward to the vacation but dreading the journey.
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

The last flight I took with E was the hardest compared to our previous flights, and it was the first time we've flown direct! She had to be entertained a lot more, and she didn't sleep as much. We haven't gotten her a seat yet because I knew she'd scream the whole time if I tried to put her in a seat next to me, and I decided to risk the safety over my sanity and that of the rest of the passengers on the flight. If he has a seat, he'll have to be in it for takeoff and landing. Bring a bag of small toys to help entertain him - E has a few small FP Laugh & Learn things that she really likes, like the remote control and the cell phone. Bring cups that he likes to drink out of, along with a bag of snacks (cheerios and goldfish) and some pouches (E sucks the food straight out of them).
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

The iPad and games are really helpful
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Thanks Aloy and ST. Great suggestions! I'd keep him on my lap but he's just too big. I think he'll be ok with sitting as long as he's kept busy. He loves his car seat, which is why I'm thinking about bringing it.

Comment

For a 7 hour red eye, I'd bring a car seat too!
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I found the old thread too: http://www.medicalspouse.com/forums/...-Family-Flying!

Comment

Thank you! I don't know how I missed that when I was searching.

Comment

I always found that buying a few new, cheap toys was a great distraction. Don't let them see them until the flight. Novelty can kill a lot of time.

Angie
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We were way over prepared for our 1-hour flight last month, but I guess it's better than the opposite. The iPad and raisins were our two big winners. A cheap sticker book kept him entertained for a long time, too.

Comment

I'd rather be over prepared too! We'll pick up a few new toys for him.

Comment

We fly a lot, though never that long, and for us it works a lot better to have DS in the car seat. He is comfortable there. And then we have a car seat at our destination, which we usually need. He is still rear-facing in the car, but we forward-face it in the plane. It's easier, and DH is more concerned about up-down movement on a plane than back-forth, if that makes sense.

We bought one of these for carrying around the convertible car seat, and I love it: http://www.amazon.com/Go-Go-Babyz-NM...idz+travelmate

Entertainment is hard at this age. NOTHING entertains my son for longer than like 15 minutes at a time. Books buy us the most time. But mostly we pray for sleep, haha.
                      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

To be honest, I'd bring a car seat only because if he loses his mind (worst case scenario), you can safely strap him in and not be trying to hold a flailing screaming kid. We've had some horror shows of flight delays and trying to convince a toddler to stay in a seat can be tough.

iPad is a good idea. As are crayons with notepad where he can scribble, etc. He could do play mobile or other figures by then to play with. We did lots of snacks and anything novel. Deploy them slowly if you can.

We do "sparkle juice" on plane rides - sparkling water with the tiniest splash of cranberry juice. They can't gulp it because of the sparkling water but it's a treat because it's sweet.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I thought everyone needed a seat of their own on international flights regardless of age? Definitely double check with your airline.
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                            I thought everyone needed a seat of their own on international flights regardless of age? Definitely double check with your airline.
                            Nope, you pay the international taxes for each person but technically you can fly as a lap child until 2 (At least with US carriers).
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

We're flying United premium economy which will give us a little more room. I was surprised to see that under two's don't need their own seat on such a long flight but the rules are the same.
                              We're going to bring the car seat anyway. He likes it, can sleep in it and like you all said, can be safely strapped in.
                              Does anyone have recommendations for ear muffs we can put on him while he sleeps to block out noise?
                              Thanks for all the great ideas. I'd wouldn't have thought of most! He's a pretty easy going kid so I'm a little less nervous.

Comment

Working...
                              X