Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

DS and over stimulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS and over stimulation

I've started taking DS to playdates recently and he gets so over stimulated, he ends up just running around the entire time. He's always had a tendency towards this. He's not used to being around people other than DH and I. He is very friendly, loves to go up and say hi to everyone but then ends up running around like crazy. If he's in a high chair or stroller he covers his ears.
    He's almost 16 months so I know the running around is what kids his age do but I'm concerned that I'm putting him into situations he can't quite handle yet.
    Today, for example, I took him to a meet up of our moms group. There were around 10 moms with their kids from infants to 4 year olds. I was the only one who spent the entire time chasing their kid around. He was trying to get out the door, climbing, running into people and saying hi. It was nonstop. It was only when most of the people had left that he started to calm down. At home he does a little of this but mostly plays calmly and loves reading books.
    I can't say I blame the kid. I get over stimulated with so many kids running around shouting at these things. I'm not sure if I should keep taking him to these things, maybe smaller groups, so he gets used to being around other people. Or if I should hold off until he's a little older.
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

No advice, just hugs.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I've been there with K1 and it's stressful. Do yourself a favor and bow out of the larger group activities for now.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I don't think it sounds abnormal. DS would sit quietly and play but DD is a wild woman. They are just different kids. I would say that if the events are stressful for you then avoid them for a while but I don't think you are doing your DS any harm by taking him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Thanks! I'll stick to smaller groups for now. I'm sure this is just his age and him not being used to it. And I'm over-thinking it as usual. Still getting used to the toddler stage.
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
          X