Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Potty Training Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty Training Book

Can anyone recommend a great potty training book? Or even a great online resource? J has been giving us signs that he's ready for a while, and I think it's time to give it a go.

We really liked the one written at Duke called, "It's Potty Time". There also used to be a video to go along with it. Very sweet and gentle introduction.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Oops, I wasn't clear. I meant something for the parents, like a guide or a plan to follow?

But I'll take recommendations on kids books, too! Off to check out It's Potty Time right now...

Comment

There are lots of methods and philosophies - Aubrey didn't want any reward or big hoopla about it. She wouldn't go in a public potty for a long time, then she wouldn't go if it was automatic and I didn't cover the sensor with a post-it. She basically self potty trained through the night and for poop. We just went with underpants during the day and pull-ups at nap and night (she was still in a crib). The first day, she had a couple accidents, and we had some super embarrassing moments in public, but she's all good now The three-day method works for people as does letting them just run naked. We didn't do books or anything on the potty because it became a hangout place and baby sister was causing mischief
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

My plan is to start after our trip at the end of the month. I'd really prefer to do it in a weekend DH is home, but we'll see. Right now I'm just trying to do as much research as possible so we have a basic plan going into it. (I'm also not stressing --if it doesn't work, I know we can try again in a few months.)

Comment

I think I glanced through Elizabeth Pantley's No-Cry Potty Training Solution and found it useful. I especially liked the readiness quiz (also online: http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/boo...sbn=0071476903). But for me, I approached it not as a behavior to train, but as a social custom to adopt. So the only reward I offered was a "Yep, you got it in the right place!" If there was a chance of messes that I didn't feel like cleaning, we kept diapers on. It took DS about 12 months from first deposit in the Bjorn Little Potty until I considered him reliable; for DD it was more like 6 months I think. Both were fairly reliable by about 2.5 years old. The video "Potty Power" helped DD tremendously to have the motivation and the vocabulary for successful toilet use.

If you really want to do it in a weekend, then I think SS has posted about the boot camp method.
            Alison

Comment

Sticker charts were helpful for us
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We mostly followed the 3-Day method, but waited on overnight.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Not a book but we used this: http://www.3daypottytraining.com/

R night trained himself at the same time. A is still not night trained and she's 7.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Do you recommend actually buying the ebook, or should I just google around to get the gist of the 3 day method?

Comment

Buy the book because then you get email support.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It took us about 5 days of constant reminders and she got it pretty easily - we rewarded with a craisin per pee and two for poop... She shows NO signs of being ready for night training.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

depending on boy or girl.. i would try to be consistent. we carry a portable potty for 1/2 yr every where we went..

Comment

Working...
                          X