Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Going out while potty training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going out while potty training

DS1 has been diaper-free since yesterday, and although we've had plenty of accidents, he's trying really hard and it's actually going pretty well. Thinking ahead to the coming week, I realize I have no idea what to do once we leave the house. What should we do about scheduled classes where it's not necessarily easy to get to a bathroom, like music and soccer classes? Do we go diaper free and just hope for the best, or should he wear something like a Pull Up for a while??

I think with K1, we did a pull up when out for a while, until he was really confident. I wouldn't want an accident to shake his confidence. With K2, I don't know what I'm doing. So far, he's going at home intermittently when I promise to reward success by doing the potty dance or jumping jacks. I'm not going to start doing that in public; his enormous public restroom tantrums are humiliating enough.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I would go diaper-free and just bring a couple of changes of clothes.
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

We just left a potty chair in the car so they had easy access when they needed to go while out and about and had them wear undies if they were at that point.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I played it by ear, going back and forth from diapers to undies as I saw fit for several months. But with both kids we took a very protracted and organic approach to potty training, we never really got to a "boot camp" or "reward chart" stage. Both were permanently out of diapers before 3 years anyway.
          Alison

Comment

We pottied immediately upon arrival at any activity. And also brought changes of clothes and a towel to throw on the car seat to avoid washing the car seat over and over.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

If we were going to be out of the house for more than an hour, I did pull ups until they were more reliable.
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Day 3 and we're still going strong. So far the only places we've gone are the park and a few car rides, but tomorrow we have a couple activities outside the house. I'll see how he does the rest of the day, and based on that I'll figure out what to do about tomorrow. I still need to order one of those travel potty seat covers, too.

Comment

Working...
                X