Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Potty Training Messing with Nighttime Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty Training Messing with Nighttime Sleep

I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this... DS1 (2.5yrs) is still in a crib, so when we did potty training a few months back, we only focused on daytime, and we continued having him wear a diaper at night. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) some kind of trigger switched in his body, and now DS1 wakes up each time he has to go pee at night and starts screaming until we bring him to the potty. That part only happens once every couple nights. The really crappy part (from my perspective) is that he wakes up at 5:30 or 6 every day now having to go potty, and after that it's hard for him to go back to sleep. We've told him he can just go pee in his diaper at night, but he's having none of it.
    I'm glad that it sounds like nighttime potty training will be easier for us, but these early morning wakeups are a drag. Has anyone else been through this? Will he ever start sleeping through until 7am again, or are those days over for me?

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do. I'd use pull-ups and switch him to a toddler bed ASAP then start working with him on going by himself. When DS started that, I told him to just go potty and go back to bed, and we'd wash his hands in the morning. You can also limit fluids prior to bedtime, but neither of my kids have been able to go all night without needing to potty regardless of how much they drink the night before.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'm trying to hold off on switching him to a big boy bed until after we make the move to fellowship in July, but that's definitely on the horizon. (So many things in life right now are on hold until we get to fellowship, this is just a tough time for a number of reasons.)
      I've been trying to be patient because I can imagine it would suck if I woke up in the morning and I couldn't go pee until someone came and got me, but geez I'm tired.

Comment

We have a potty in her room. She can potty and then go back to bed. She usually just pees in her pull up.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Don't fight this one. I know it's inconvienent but you'll be really happy in the long run. Sorry for the early wake up call!
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Whoa. All I can say is way to go getting a 2.5yo boy to stay dry at night is amazing. My boys are almost 5.5yo and 4yo and they cannot do that. The pediatrician says 6yo is the average.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is R to a T. He night trained himself 2+ years ago and still wakes up at 5:30-6am. The only thing we have been able to do is train him to stay in his room until at least 6:30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Gah! I have a feeling this is going to be us, too.
                I've been giving him a couple books (after potty) when he wakes after 6, and telling him I'll be back when his alarm lights up at 7, and that's worked for the last two mornings. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. I have a feeling that switching to a bed is either going to make the situation much worse or a little better, I'm just not sure which way it'll go.

Comment

I love those alarms. They save my sanity. I hear my kids awake before 6:00 a lot of mornings, but they're used to waiting on it to light up.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                  X