Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Daycare dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daycare dilemma

We have been LOVING DD's new daycare. I didn't expect to be impressed by a daycare that we chose long-distance just to fill the gap, but they are attentive and have a great routine, and DD has been napping better there than she does at home.

Well, DH went to pick her up today and found her napping on her front. She can't roll back to front yet, so she didn't get herself into that position. When DH asked, the teacher said she fell asleep doing tummy time on the mat, and they transferred her to the crib that way. No reason they couldn't have turned her.

She can roll front to back and lift her head with a full range of motion, so I'm not that worried about her sleeping on her tummy while under supervision, but I am upset by the daycare doing it, completely against policy, without asking or telling us. Maybe this is why she's been napping so much better there?

Ugh. I liked them SO much. What would you do?
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

With it being such a great fit otherwise, I'd start with firmly stating that she must always nap on her back (with both the teachers and the director), then randomly dropping in unannounced to check.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I agree with LM. E's school had some napping issues (they were putting boppy pillows in the cribs), and I just made it clear that it wasn't safe and wasn't OK for my baby, and they followed my requests.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Do they have a safe sleep policy? If so, why was it not followed? The answers to those questions would probably influence my thinking. Is it symptomatic of a bigger problem, or just an aberration in an otherwise well run center?

Comment

They do have a safe sleep policy and the parent handbook is very clear on it. I'm realizing that A is in a room with other babies who are just slightly further along developmentally. She's coming up on 6 months but as a preemie is more on track for her due date in some respects - gross motor in particular, like the rolling. I think because many of the other babies in her room might roll onto their tummies on their own while sleeping, the teachers probably didn't worry about it. But she's just not a good enough roller yet for me to be comfortable with it. I really like the teachers, they seem very attentive and I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt... I asked DH to talk to them when he drops her off tomorrow but he doesn't want to have to be the one to do it, so I'm probably going to have to call tomorrow.
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Working...
          X