Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Joint laxity in toddlers/preschoolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint laxity in toddlers/preschoolers

So C has had nursemaids elbow 3x in the last 6 months. I attributed it to DH the first two times (he was swinging her and she was having a blast until she was crying). On NYE, another larger child (by 10 lbs, not hugely bigger) pulled on her arm and did it again.

After each one, we reduce it (as shown to us by a pedi at urgent care after the first time) and it's sore for a few days but she resumes using it.

A few weeks ago, she also hyperextended her knee playing with her friends. Limped for 3 days and couldn't weight bear on the stairs.

It's clear she's prone to this but it just seems excessive to me, especially the instances of it not involving anyone (knee) or only another child. I know there are a few genetic conditions (Marfans) that come to mind but she's not exceptionally tall. I'm just worried but don't know if I'm overreacting (spouse is an MD syndrome) or if this is concerning.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

This happened to S all the time, until she was 4 1/2, which is pretty old for nursemaids. I had her evaluated by developmental Peds and PM&R for low tone (she was a very late walker, too). They concluded that she was just really flexible, but within the range of normal. I'd mention it to your Ped, but 3 times doesn't seem like much to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Joint laxity in toddlers/preschoolers

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
      This happened to S all the time, until she was 4 1/2, which is pretty old for nursemaids. I had her evaluated by developmental Peds and PM&R for low tone (she was a very late walker, too). They concluded that she was just really flexible, but within the range of normal. I'd mention it to your Ped, but 3 times doesn't seem like much to me.

I asked my DH, and he said ditto to this.

ETA: I had nursemaids elbow 3x as a kid and I'm fine now! I still clearly remember my parents freaking out when it happened the last time (the worst one), though.
      Last edited by OrionGrad; 01-02-2016, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Ok, thanks guys!

She was an early walker (10 months) but I do think she's growing a lot right now so I'm wondering if this is all a part of that. I'll mention it to our pedi so it's in her chart but I won't worry about it too much. The one with the other child really bothered me - I mean, kids pull on each other, it's what they do! To see your child writhing in pain from a very normal childhood activity was seriously weird (to say nothing of having to reassure the boy's parents who flipped out on their son thinking he'd been violent with her).
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

One of mine happened when I was laying on the floor and my teenage cousin bent over to pull me up by the hands. She wasn't been rough at all, it just popped out. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, though. Even if it's not serious, I'm sure it's still scary for you as the mom.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
            Ok, thanks guys!

She was an early walker (10 months) but I do think she's growing a lot right now so I'm wondering if this is all a part of that. I'll mention it to our pedi so it's in her chart but I won't worry about it too much. The one with the other child really bothered me - I mean, kids pull on each other, it's what they do! To see your child writhing in pain from a very normal childhood activity was seriously weird (to say nothing of having to reassure the boy's parents who flipped out on their son thinking he'd been violent with her).
            I meant S was a late walker, in addition to the nursemaids (so you wouldn't all think I was crazy with both dev Peds and PM&R just for nursemaids).

-Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Ah, I understand! I thought you were saying I should also be aware of that as part of some symptom grouping.

Comment

Worth mentioning to your pediatrician, but FWIW my brother and I both had multiple instances of nursemaids with no long-term issues. You're lucky you can reduce it yourselves. We racked up so many ED visits we got special visits from the Department of Social Services, which is what I think had the most lasting impact. My parents are the most gentle, attentive parents I've ever met, but it was still really stressful.

Comment

Sophie had nursemaid's at least 3 times, once in her sleep!

She finally outgrew it around 4 and I stopped worrying at around 6.

Now she is in gymnastics and hasn't had any issues.
                  Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                    Sophie had nursemaid's at least 3 times, once in her sleep!

She finally outgrew it around 4 and I stopped worrying at around 6.

Now she is in gymnastics and hasn't had any issues.
                    That guys, I feel a lot better. Everyone at the NYE party was really concerned and thought it was bizarre.

Also, only Sophie could do it in her sleep. I love that kid.

Comment

Working...
                    X