Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Potty training regression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty training regression

So DS has been potty trained (except for night/nap time when he wears a pull up) and pretty much accident free for about 6 weeks now. About a week ago he started pooping every other day or waited to go in his pull up after nap. We didn't think much of it because he has been an infrequent pooper since birth, going every other day or once a day at most. He gets plenty of fiber so I know it's not his diet. However, for the past few days he has been having wetting accidents. He will tell us he has to go and then sometimes fight us, refusing to go. Then when he gets to the toilet he will have wet a little. On Sunday and again today he had two full on accidents where he didn't tell anyone he had to go. Today the first was at his drop off preschool camp and again on the way home. He was very upset by the accident on the way home.
    I can't say I'm hugely surprised by the regression. The past few weeks I've been dragging him to Dr appointments once or twice a week and leaving him with a babysitter if she's available for those appointments. My sister arrived Friday and has been playing with him a lot during the day, although DH and I still do meals and bedtime. Then of course there's all the talk of the new baby arriving in less than 2 weeks. Poor kid has a lot going on.
    I guess my question is how do I deal with it, besides providing lots of encouragement and incentive to go? Should I put a pull up on him for camp (just tomorrow left) since I know he must have been hugely embarrassed by wetting there today? Just focus on retraining at home first or all at once? Nothing I've read has included specific ways of dealing with it and I know it may get worse before it gets better. I just want the least amount of stress on him as possible. TIA!
    Last edited by MrsC; 08-09-2016, 12:38 PM.
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

It's probably too late for advice about today, but I'd do a pull up for him for the last day of camp. There's a good chance he was just having too much fun and wasn't paying attention. DS had an accident on the playground at kindergarten last year for that reason!

After camp today, I'd start taking him to the potty on a schedule for a few days. That's not how we potty trained, but when we had regressions, it seemed to get them back on track. If nothing else, I think they wanted Mommy to stop pestering them and interrupting their playtime.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Also, though, watch for signs of UTI. It's probably just developmental and/or stress of the changes going on, but it's a possibility.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=1488]ladymoreta[/MENTION]! He did much better yesterday evening and this morning. No accidents during camp even though he refused to wear a pull up to it.
        I think you're right, he doesn't want playtime interrupted either. A UTI did cross my mind but he has no other symptoms or change in frequency. Will keep a lookout for it though.
        His teacher said they're working on him listening and joining in, always an issue for him. Baby will be here in less than 2 weeks and he starts preschool in 4 weeks. Hopefully that will give him a little time to adjust to our new life. He seems excited about it but we'll see how he's doing.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
        X