Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Biting Self?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biting Self?

Got a call from daycare. E apparently bit her own wrist. And did it again while the teacher was on the phone with me. I can't tell if she just figured out that she can fit her hand/fist in her mouth, or if something is wrong with her hand. Today was the beginning of the transition to the toddler room, so she went there for part of the morning and then went back to the infant room for nap and playtime in the afternoon. So maybe someone else bit her or she saw someone get bit or bite themselves? Is this normal? She chews on her fingers every once in awhile, but I've never seen her bite hard enough to leave marks. Teacher says there are marks on her wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Sounds like stress. It will be interesting to talk to her about why. If it is stress you can introduce other soothing/coping mechanisms to sub in.
    -Ladybug

Comment

Around that age, my son went through a phase (2-3 weeks) where he would hit his head against things, the floor, and with his hands when he was frustrated. It freaked me out, but is apparently more common than I realized. Is she upset when it happens?

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
        Sounds like stress. It will be interesting to talk to her about why. If it is stress you can introduce other soothing/coping mechanisms to sub in.
        I think it might be this.

DH picked her up from school and felt that the bite mark wasn't even noticeable. I couldn't even tell if something had ever been there. The teacher didn't see the behavior again, and we haven't seen it at home tonight. I think she may have been playing around and did it. And I also think it could be stress. Hoping it's the former since it's only happened twice today.

She was a little harder to put to bed tonight and wanted to pass out on me, which isn't the norm. Curious to see if any of these behaviors - the biting or bedtime clinginess repeat themselves on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          Around that age, my son went through a phase (2-3 weeks) where he would hit his head against things, the floor, and with his hands when he was frustrated. It freaked me out, but is apparently more common than I realized. Is she upset when it happens?

I feel some relief in knowing it is part of growing up and being a toddler. Although I would be scared too if my little one hit their head on things. Especially since they seem to kind of toss them around with such abandon and little respect for how important they are!

It doesn't seem like she was super upset by it. Apparently just waving her hand around and making her fussy/whining/upset noises. Trying to discern exactly what happened via the one afternoon infant teacher is like trying to get accounting info from the Mad Hatter.

Comment

Stress or frustration. The little boy I nannied for would bite himself really hard when he was frustrated. Apparently his father did the same thing as a child. As he got older and could communicate better and understand how to deal with the frustration, it stopped.
            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

My dd2 went through a phase a few months ago (right around turning 2) where she did this. She would bite her wrist when she was frustrated. I think she realized that hurt a lot and started biting her sleeve or my shirt instead.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I'm actually surprised that the daycare even called you for that. I think that's pretty par for the toddler course - if not biting, then hitting or head banging. I would certainly be concerned if it was happening frequently, but I think at this age they do some "self harming" behaviors either out of frustration or even just experimentation. DD has bitten herself a couple times when she's REALLY angry, and likes to pull her hair out of her ponytail, sometimes pulling out several hairs in the process. I notice it has happened when she's angry and has no other outlet, like when she's strapped into her car seat. More recently though, she's learned to stomp her feet and shake her fists when she's angry, which is more appropriate. And frankly, adorable. So I wouldn't worry, it will pass quickly!
                Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Just a word of caution - only one of my children exhibited this behavior, and he is the one with some social/processing issues. Nothing very serious, but earlier intervention would have been good.
                  Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                  Let's go Mets!

Comment

So the good thing is that neither the teachers in her old baby room nor the teachers in the 2 year old room have seen this behavior again since last week. I'm willing to bet a little bit of stress from switching rooms, plus some self-discovery or seeing others do it.

Fluff, that was my concern. How often and for long did it last?

Comment

I think it was in his one's and two's, and it, together with head-banging, lasted several months, increasing in severity until he outgrew it. I think we found that ignoring the behavior was the best option for stopping it - trying to actively get him to stop just added attention, which reinforced the behavior. For the head-banging I would move him onto a carpeted floor, put a pillow under him, and leave the room.
                      He's a very bright kid, and has found his friends, but it did require some therapy, and I think that would have been easier if we'd started earlier.
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

^I had the same concern and would have addressed it further if it continued.

He definitely is the most difficult child so far (well, #3 hasn't had the chance to show us what he is capable of yet!) as far as hitting, biting, tantrums, and impulse control in general.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                        X