Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vacation Toys... 1.5 yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Toys... 1.5 yo

I'm trying to pack for a ski vacation next week. We have a babysitter for the kids for a few hours each morning. Now the other couple with kids has added their son - about the same age for two of the days, and their 4yo for one of the days. (Thank god they made her add a second babysitter that day!). The second day is fine. But now all of a sudden I'm a little nervous about my kids getting bored and getting into trouble. Before I thought they could play with kitchen stuff, bake some cookies (they like that), watch the shows I know they will sit through, or go on a walk if it's warm in the town (50/50 chance). But now that there are more kids, I feel slightly more compelled to bring some stuff to play with. Is that stupid?

I was going to just bring some of those little Melissa and Doug paint with water books. Some of my kids favorite books, a roku for their amazon videos, maybe some play-doh. I don't know.... this is a hard age. The toys are still so big!

Any ideas for something somewhat easy to travel with that I can bring? (I'll bring iPads, but they aren't interested... and I don't really want them to be ). The other mom - who I been sort of leaving everything to me (crib rentals, babysitters etc) wasn't much help. She doesn't want to bring anything. She thinks they will just explore the house (I'd rather them not! Lol. It's not that kid friendly the more I look at the pictures). Errr. So I don't know. Any ideas for packable toys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about those sticker sheets (Melissa and Doug) that are window clings? They could put them all over the house windows.

Also, this is going to sound weird but flashlights. Add blankets and it's a fort...

Bath toys for long baths? Mine love food coloring + shaving scream as paint. Or finger paints in the bath? I'm suggesting the bath bc it washes and doesn't destroy the house.

Play doh? Are yours still putting things in their mouth? If so, play doh is out but if not, they might really like it.

What about little people cars or trucks to drive around? (You can take masking or painters tape to make "roads").

That's off the cuff... let me know if any of that appeals and I'll try to think of more.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Oh that's super good! Thank you.

Comment

Maybe some butcher paper and crayons?
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
          Oh that's super good! Thank you.

I'll let you know if I think of more. My brain is kinda fried right now but as you know, we spent a lot of time going to the away rotation apartment and needing stuff to do in a tiny apartment that wasn't ours.

And YES, you definitely need two sitters with 4 mobile kids. My nanny does 4 right now (my 3 and her baby) and they already know her and are well behaved and it's tough. Don't feel bad at all for insisting on that. It's a safety issue.

Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

You had amazing suggestions for someone who hasn't slept in many months AND is in the middle of selling their house - plus planning a cross country move with 3 kids. I'm impressed as usual!

Comment

They aren't that into coloring... it's like a 5 min distraction, max. And then like 10min of chasing them to get the crayons away... 🙄

Comment

Do you know what I'm referring to when I saw "craft poms". Like little puffs in all different colors? That's the age when my kids were obsessed with them. Put them in a little coin purse or ziplock to be put in and out (coin purse provides zipper fun). They LOVE them especially if you give them a lot. They like to hide them, stuff them in places, open and close the bags, etc. That's another one where it can't hurt anything and is easily portable. Also, again if they're not putting things in their mouths, they sell big fat fuzzy pipe cleaners at michaels that kids that age LOVE.

Ideally don't introduce any of these ideas or any others until you arrive. Some will be a hit and some won't but even if it's not a hit, the novelty will help for a few minutes. I just stock piled stuff and brought it out one at a time. You do not want to bring everything out at once! It's overwhelming and they'll get bored faster.

Comment

Thanks! I also ordered a little pop up tent and tunnel... I can never get the tents back in the bag, but it was $14, so whatever.

I think I'd be fine with the puff balls... but on occasion we still chew on things - rarely something small or soft, but one kid still has a bunch of teeth coming in.... so who knows.

I think we should be ok... they should be ok. I'm still a little annoyed at the other couple for crashing my plans and not being willing to help me think activities... but whatever. 🙄😬

Comment

Things my dd2 loved to play with when we went on vacation when she was 13 months.

Accordion style post it notes!
                    Also, blue painters tape (also good for baby proofing outlets, keeping drawers shut, etc.)
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                    X