Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Toddler sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Of course the little stinker was tired and fell asleep nursing so fine, we will start tonight.

But it was glorious to have my evening starting at 7:30 so I could finish up my work by 8:30 or so and actually see DH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
        Of course the little stinker was tired and fell asleep nursing so fine, we will start tonight.

But it was glorious to have my evening starting at 7:30 so I could finish up my work by 8:30 or so and actually see DH
        Hopefully this isn't relevant, but I have to tell you something that I read in the Precious Little Sleep FB group that was a game changer when were sleep training T. So, we'd been doing our bedtime routine followed by nursing then putting him in his crib awake, but it just wasn't clicking and he was still crying a little each night. Every fourth or fifth night he'd fall asleep while he was nursing, so I'd put him down asleep and figured we'd try again the next day. The women in the FB group urged me to move nursing way up in our bedtime routine, before bath and books, so he wouldn't fall asleep before bed. Once I did that, we only had two or three more nights of tears before he was fully going to sleep on his own, and he has ever since. We still nursed for the next six or seven months, I just wouldn't do it right before bedtime anymore. Anyway, like I said probably not relevant in your situation, but it made such a big difference for us that I had to share it just in case.

Comment

Hmm, interesting.

Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I haven't read everything - how old is he? I don't think he is ready for one nap yet. I think I transitioned my kids around 14 months and it was huge mistake. I think all kids seem to have a nap regression somewhere around that point, but then they get it back. I wish I had waited until 16/18 months for a one nap transition. I was just trying to get things set up so we could have a life, but it didn't work as intended. Instead I just got one 1.5hr nap a day instead of one 3hr nap. Anyway, just quickly sharing my experience before I have a chance to read everything... because I probably won't.....

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
              Hopefully this isn't relevant, but I have to tell you something that I read in the Precious Little Sleep FB group that was a game changer when were sleep training T. So, we'd been doing our bedtime routine followed by nursing then putting him in his crib awake, but it just wasn't clicking and he was still crying a little each night. Every fourth or fifth night he'd fall asleep while he was nursing, so I'd put him down asleep and figured we'd try again the next day. The women in the FB group urged me to move nursing way up in our bedtime routine, before bath and books, so he wouldn't fall asleep before bed. Once I did that, we only had two or three more nights of tears before he was fully going to sleep on his own, and he has ever since. We still nursed for the next six or seven months, I just wouldn't do it right before bedtime anymore. Anyway, like I said probably not relevant in your situation, but it made such a big difference for us that I had to share it just in case.
              Probably really not relevant... but
              We actually also just changed milk sippy cups to before bath at about 14 mo when bedtime was a disaster because I took bottles away at 12mo. It made a huge difference. Huge.

Comment

So last night I fed him in a chair upstairs and then put him in bed. His rage was palpable as I cuddled him and sang without lifting up my shirt.

He cried for 35 minutes until I sent DH in. Apparently as soon as he touched him, he went face down and was asleep in about a minute.

So I mean...did that help or hurt? He was crying pretty continuously. So did he learn if he yells long enough, someone comes?

Comment

Toddler sleep

That's a tough one. I don't know the answer, but I feel like anything where you're not nursing him to sleep is progress, right?

ETA: My kids have all associated nursing with falling asleep, so just breaking that association has been the biggest part of the battle for us.

Comment

Yeah I guess that's true. I hate that he's crying so long but I have my life back except for those few minutes where DH has to soothe him. Of course DH is leaving for a mandatory work trip on Friday so that's great.

Comment

I can say as hard as it's for us, we put A down in her crib and we can't look back. Each of us has made a mistake where we look back at her and the full blown crying starts and she hates my singing. I can sing my oldest to sleep whereas the little one all she likes is to be carried with her head lying on my shoulder. Can't even sit down with her. So, whatever we say to her has to be said before we put her down.

wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

Oh I think it's a huge step. Running short of time, but - even though it wasn't you - the fact that he responded positively to an adult going in and calming him without picking him up amazes me. It never worked for us. I wanted to scream every single time I read - go in and comfort your baby after X amt of time, without picking them up.... going in for us (even if we did pick him up) was such a mistake. To this day (with both kids) I do understand how going in and comforting without picking up could possibly work. So... in my opinion... going from nursing to sleep to that so quickly is a great step forward!!

Comment

Well about 4-5 times ever, I've not been available when he unexpectedly woke from naps. He is always PISSED to see DH but eventually cries himself back to sleep. So I imagine that he was so exhausted that he basically just gave up at that point.

It's been 25-30 mins every night since then. Doesn't seem to be getting any shorter although he takes about 45 second breaks vs continuous crying.

Of course this will all be jacked up on Saturday by the arrival of DH's aunt who sleeps in his bedroom. So I don't even know what we will do about that. I'd hate to think we revert back after all this work.

Comment

Omg. No. Please make her sleep elsewhere. Like anywhere else. Don't stop the progress!!! (Is the idea that he'll be back In Your room? Don't do it!!!).

Comment

Oh no..... aunt needs to sleep somewhere else.

wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

It's the only guest space. Unless I displace the girls. But they have bunk beds so I can't ask her to sleep there.

I may have to put him to bed in her bed and then carry him somewhere and pray he transfers. He usually sleeps on a mattress in our closet but you can bet if I abandon him in there, he's crawling after me.

Comment

Working...
                                X