Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New Preschool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Preschool

C (almost 4) started a new preschool on Monday and is having a hard time adjusting. He goes 3 days a week and went Mon and Tues so far. He alternates between wanting me to stay and wanting to go home, crying a lot. His teacher suggested that I stay on Tuesday and after an hour he was engrossed enough that I was able to slip out. He did fine after that.
    I'm not sure about how to approach it tomorrow. He says he wants me to stay again but it's hard to do with R in tow. Plus, I'm worried he'll want me to stay every day. His last school took a different approach. They suggested making a quick exit but when I tried that on Monday he was weepy until it was time to go home. That was the first day too.
    Any suggestions on how to approach this? Set a time limit on how long I can stay or just wait until he's distracted? He says he likes some things about his new school and two of his friends go there. He did much better in preschool last year so this is kind of surprising. But he had been taking Mommy and me classes in the same place so I it wasn't as new to him. I know he'll adjust in time but it's heartbreaking to see him so sad

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

His reaction seems perfectly appropriate. I would give it a couple more weeks to make more friends and feel comfortable.

I would stay less and less each time. Maybe excuse yourself to the bathroom after about 10 min.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I guess I'm just a little shocked. He's usually so outgoing. I'll try staying for a shorter period of time tomorrow.

Comment

I think he'll get used to it. Can you have a pep talk beforehand about expectations? This helped E a lot when she was having problems at drop off. We'd talk about how Mommy would walk her in, we'd put her stuff away, she'd give me a hug and a kiss, and then she'd be a big girl and not throw a temper tantrum when I left for work, but I'd be back to pick her up like I always am. We had a similar talk when she was really scared about doing the carpool drop off for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I don't really have any good advice, but I just wanted to offer some support. J went through a period of crying at preschool drop off when he was 3. It wasn't a new school, and it just kind of came out of nowhere. He outgrew it eventually, but it broke my heart each day to leave while he was crying.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=4205]alotofyarn[/MENTION]. That's what we did yesterday. It was better. I heard him cry after I left but his teacher said he calmed down quickly trying to console his friend who was sympathy crying!

I know [MENTION=1924]OrionGrad[/MENTION]. It's worse when you don't expect it!

Comment

Working...
            X