Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Early potty training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early potty training

R just turned 22 months and for the past few days has been fighting me when I try to put a diaper on him. This morning he came up and said "pee, pee, go potty" so I put him on the potty but he'd already gone in his diaper.
    This is awesome but he's so young! I always thought that boys simply don't have the bladder control at this age to potty train. C was 2.5. I could put him in pull ups. For now he's in padded underwear and I'll see how that goes.
    This is awful timing. I am so exhausted and feel terrible with morning sickness but he's a determined little guy and I don't want to discourage him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

I've had friends successfully train that young. Can't hurt to try, or at least get him potty ready. C is not even close to interested yet.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

C trained at 22 months. D at 2.5 years. R is showing interest at 26 months but I'm not encouraging it because we have a LOT going on right now. He's peed a few times but usually his interest fades after a few hours. We will revisit in August, I'd love for him to go to school potty trained.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I remember E being interested at 23 months, which was promptly squashed by all of the loud, auto-flush toilets at WDW. 😂😭 It took another year for the entire family to get their shit together, so she was trained at 37 months.

I say if he’s interested in being like big brother and you can muster the energy, go for it. If not, don’t beat yourself up about it. Good luck! 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

It's definitely possible, but we had a lot of false starts at that age too. If you need to wait, don't worry. #1 and #2 potty trained at 3. Honestly, in the end it is way more convenient for you..
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yeah, I would encourage the interest with some pull ups and trips to the potty. It's definitely possible, but I wouldn't count on actual full potty training for a while. Just enable him and take it easy! No pressure for either of you!
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Ok, thanks, this helps a lot! I think we'll just put him in pull-ups and take him when he asks. If he loses interest again for a while, I won't worry about it! I kept thinking of one friend who spent about 18 months in potty training mode because he started so young 😮 Although I think maybe this is more about copying big brother than him really being ready.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                Ok, thanks, this helps a lot! I think we'll just put him in pull-ups and take him when he asks. If he loses interest again for a while, I won't worry about it! I kept thinking of one friend who spent about 18 months in potty training mode because he started so young  Although I think maybe this is more about copying big brother than him really being ready.

I have those friends too - they started about a year before I started either of mine, and our kids were fully trained the whole time. Except I went through a whole lot fewer pull-ups and messes because we did it faster, when they were truly ready. I think it's fine to let him try though!
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I have no idea bc I'm not there but I'll compare it to shifting from 3 naps to 2 or 2 naps to 1, in which rather than go cold turkey new schedule, we'd flip flop between depending on how the day was going. Is it possible to just continue with diapers but allow him to potty as he feels/ can and super reward him? like positive reinforcement only?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  Grace

Comment

I think DS1 was around that age when we started putting him on the potty each night before bath. I knew he wasn’t ready for real potty training, but he’d go when we put him on before bath time like 50% of the time. When we finally potty trained for real at 2.5 he got it almost immediately.

Comment

R lost interest in the potty for a few weeks. Then yesterday he used it and refused to put on a diaper or pull up until bedtime. Just now he took off his diaper and threw it in the trash and went to pee in the potty. 😆 He turned 2 last week. This kid cracks me up!

Comment

Early potty training

That’s awesome MrsC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Haha! Great job kiddo! And mama!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          Grace