Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Morning routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning routine

I feel kind of silly asking this, but what are/were your morning routines with getting infants to daycare? Currently we're on a really loose schedule: G wakes up around 7:15 and hangs with DH while I get another hour of sleep. I start nursing him around 8:30, then prep his bottles, get him dressed, put jeans and a hoodie on myself, and we're at daycare around 9:20.

This will need to be done more quickly once I start working, and I'll need to have him at daycare by 7:15 so I can do drop off and get to work on time. I'm firmly a shower-before-work person too. How do I do this? I can start prepping bottles at night I suppose. Do I need to start getting up at 5:00 am 😫? What do I do about Gs current sleep situation? Do I wake him to nurse and change around 6:45? I'm having a hard time thinking through this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don’t remember the exact details of our routines when I was working but I did all prep of bottles, food, etc and had our bags all ready the night before. I worked four tens for a while and since we were getting up earlier I showered at night, it’s not my preference but it worked. When I did a regular five day schedule I showered in the morning. I always let the kids sleep as long as they would and woke them up with just enough time to feed and change them which didn’t take long. We coslept though so they would often wake up when I got out of bed which was fine but I could get ready faster without them. It will be rough at first but once you figure out your routine you will become more efficient and it will be easier. Then you’ll have a day thrown in there with a blow out just as you’re walking about the door but you’ll roll with it. I know it’s stressful but congrats on this exciting time in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

We didn’t do daycare but we do have to leave for preschool and that involved infants for everyone except my oldest.

Yes to prepping every single thing the night before that you can. You get up, get completely ready, wake the baby, change the baby, feed the baby and out the door.

USE burp clothes over your work clothes in case of blow out/spit up. Always always always something between your clothes and baby if you need to leave in a hurry.

It sucks hustling everyone out of the door. I often had wet hair or barely blow dried hair. My hair is very thin/fine, showering at night is not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Yes, prep the bottles the night before (especially works if you just pack what you pumped the previous day). I woke at 6-6:30, showered, woke A by 7-ish, fed her, dressed her, and was out the door by 7:45. I could have been faster, but it left lots of time for potential disaster, which happened often. When she started eating solid breakfast, she usually nursed first thing upon walking and then had solids at daycare, so we kept the same schedule. Now that she's older she wakes at 6, eats breakfast in her jammies while DH showers, then dresses while I shower. Then there's about 30-45 minutes of fighting about clothing, shoes, hair, etc. while she tries to play. IMO infants are way easier to get ready in the morning.
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
          Yes, prep the bottles the night before (especially works if you just pack what you pumped the previous day). I woke at 6-6:30, showered, woke A by 7-ish, fed her, dressed her, and was out the door by 7:45. I could have been faster, but it left lots of time for potential disaster, which happened often. When she started eating solid breakfast, she usually nursed first thing upon walking and then had solids at daycare, so we kept the same schedule. Now that she's older she wakes at 6, eats breakfast in her jammies while DH showers, then dresses while I shower. Then there's about 30-45 minutes of fighting about clothing, shoes, hair, etc. while she tries to play. IMO infants are way easier to get ready in the morning.
          Yes, 100% to infants being easier. Three people with opinions and slow as molasses eating and fighting make mornings HARD.

Lay out baby's clothes and your clothes the night before as well as the other things mentioned above.

Also, the schedule will definitely change once you move to solids/other things. I bet he starts getting up when you do and then you get the added challenge of entertaining him while you shower/dress. Two helpful strategies for this stage: shower him with you sitting at your feet and/or have a bin of toys only for the shower. Put the trashcan on the toilet top where he cant reach it, install child safety latches on bathroom cabinet and let him play! Remember it's ok if he cries for 2 minutes while you finish showering.
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Thank you all. This is exciting and stressful. Finally submitted my credentialing paperwork, so hopefully receiving a formal offer soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to prep bottles and all of my pumping stuff the night before. In the mornings I'd get up and shower and get myself ready, then nurse E and get her ready, then go. Occasionally she would wake up early and I could nurse her then finish getting ready, and she'd play on the play mat in the bathroom with me. We changed things up occasionally, whenever necessary.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
              X