Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Rock n Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock n Play

AAP is now recommending a recall and advising parents not to use it. 😭My 8 week old sleeps in it every night and I don't know if I should stop using it. She is swaddled in a sleep sack, which she cannot move in, except for her hands a little. She sleeps so well in it and absolutely hates lying flat in the crib. I wouldn't use it past 3 months now but was hoping to get a few more weeks put of it. I feel like the AAP always goes for an outright ban so I don't know if they're being overcautious.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Both of my kids slept a LOT in the swing in our room at night - I'm not sure how we would have survived otherwise. I imagine the R&P is the same, although we never had one. As far as I can tell, the concerns are mostly for when babies are rolling over, so she's probably fine for a bit.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I think it’s fine if they are strapped in. We plan on using ours again in the fall, and she will be strapped in and we won’t use it past 3 months. So take that for what it’s worth, coming from the house of a ped. 🤷🏻*♀️

E spent some time in hers, as it was a nice place to put her down if I needed to do something or if she wanted to take a snooze. She was not a fan of the swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I *just* bought one used for this next kid and was telling DH about this today. I'm torn, because I read reports elsewhere about younger babies dying due to airway cutoff in the incline position, but then again that same risk is present in a swing or carseat. Actually, I've never heard of a death this way in a carseat and you'd think them being rear facing away from you for an extended period of time would be a huge risk!

I think I'm disinclined to actually let the kid sleep the whole night in it, but let's be honest--he's going to sleep in my arm attached to my boob the whole night anyway, just like the rest of them.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I’m grateful we’re not in this phase of life anymore because I would be very torn. My younger two slept in the RNP for way too long, and because they were swaddled, they weren’t always strapped in super securely. I was *always* worried about an airway being cut off, same as when they were sleeping in the swing. But neither of my younger two would sleep on a flat surface when they were infants, and I felt like, despite the risks, the RNP was safer than being in my arms or in our bed. Ugh.
          If I had a baby now I’d rent or buy a SNOO and avoid the RNP debacle altogether.

Comment

I'd feel so torn about this, too. On it's face it seems an easy decision, but throw in the variables of appropriate use of safety features and chronic sleep deprivation, and people make different decisions. A complete ban seems excessive, but maybe I'm missing something.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I plan to use ours supervised, just like the swing. If I'm in the shower I'll bring it into the bathroom with me, if I'm on the couch I'll have it next to me, etc. I won't use it for night sleeping or unsupervised. DD slept exclusively in her bassinet at night so I hope that works out for us again.
              Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I've been thinking along the same lines. I do feel like at this age, with a sleep sack on and strapped in, she's safe. I'm always such a safety nut it worried me but looking at her now I'm ok with it. She sleeps right beside my bed. I can see how it could be dangerous with a bigger baby. The same incline that keeps them snug and not able to move much as a newborn could cause them to get stuck in a side position when they're older.
                After R, who wouldn't sleep in anything and caused me to break every rule by cosleeping for 18 months, I am just glad she'll sleep in it. She went for 5 hours last night, which was glorious!

I'm actually beginning to wonder if babies who will sleep according to AAP recommendations even exist. And if they do, do the Moms sleep at all?! Sleep deprivation is no joke and I would love to see it taken into consideration.

Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                  I plan to use ours supervised, just like the swing. If I'm in the shower I'll bring it into the bathroom with me, if I'm on the couch I'll have it next to me, etc. I won't use it for night sleeping or unsupervised. DD slept exclusively in her bassinet at night so I hope that works out for us again.
                  This is what we did... but our kids totally didn’t love being flat and, while we did push that, we had law school books propping up one end of their twin pack and play at some point. We also totally cheated with baby nurses, so I feel like a hypocrite adding too much insight. I will say that the one kid who was colicky for 6 months definitely spent a few nights (like when he was 5 months old) in the rnp with a magic Merlin suit on next to me on the couch and it was probably a very unsafe set up. I literally felt like I might kill him that week though (I know- I’m a bad person. It was so awful though), so I just didn’t care. I was just happy that he stopped crying for two hours. Glad everyone made it, and hopefully we don’t ever repeat that life phase! Godspeed!!! I think try not to have them sleep on the rock n play at night if you can do it. Not because of the safety stuff, just because it’s apparently so hard to break them of the habit. (Having had a bunch of night nurses, it was apparently the number one reason they were hired for older kids who got too big for them).

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                    I've been thinking along the same lines. I do feel like at this age, with a sleep sack on and strapped in, she's safe. I'm always such a safety nut it worried me but looking at her now I'm ok with it. She sleeps right beside my bed. I can see how it could be dangerous with a bigger baby. The same incline that keeps them snug and not able to move much as a newborn could cause them to get stuck in a side position when they're older.
                    After R, who wouldn't sleep in anything and caused me to break every rule by cosleeping for 18 months, I am just glad she'll sleep in it. She went for 5 hours last night, which was glorious!

I'm actually beginning to wonder if babies who will sleep according to AAP recommendations even exist. And if they do, do the Moms sleep at all?! Sleep deprivation is no joke and I would love to see it taken into consideration.

Yes. I totally agree we did things very much by the book, but we literally spent fortune on night nurses. We would have been fine with the one good sleeper if I had been ok physically. But that other kid 😱😱😱😱😱. I mean he was a handful. (He still is honestly). And he was also small, so they told me I couldn’t let him cry - but he wouldn’t eat. It was insane. Literally zero minutes of sleep unless we paid someone to watch him.

Comment

Rock n Play

Butt dial post....

Last edited by JDAZ11; 04-12-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

None of mine ever would, but I also wasn't willing to let them cry extensively til they were older. No way to win.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

This sucks and is stressful because I'd heard and read that the Rock N Play is a literal lifesaver, and 100% registered for one, in the hopes that he'll like it enough to sleep in it for some stretch. But, I've never had a baby so I don't know what the fuck I'm doing anyway, so now I'm even more clueless. Would I have let him sleep in it while I slept? I have no idea. But now I'm not sure if I should even get one - but that takes away one whole "this worked like a charm for sleep" item that I was really banking on!
                          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Mine didn't have a problem sleeping flat, she wasn't refluxy or colicky, but she also woke multiple times a night for the whole first year. I don't think using a different sleep surface/location really would have helped, it probably had more to do with feeding and general immaturity. So we always went with AAP guidelines, because it was going to be brutal either way. I'm surprised I never fell asleep at the wheel when she was 5-6 months old.
                            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                              This sucks and is stressful because I'd heard and read that the Rock N Play is a literal lifesaver, and 100% registered for one, in the hopes that he'll like it enough to sleep in it for some stretch. But, I've never had a baby so I don't know what the fuck I'm doing anyway, so now I'm even more clueless. Would I have let him sleep in it while I slept? I have no idea. But now I'm not sure if I should even get one - but that takes away one whole "this worked like a charm for sleep" item that I was really banking on!
                              Eh, don't let it get to you. I'm continually astounded at how much changes in infant safety guidelines in just a few years. With my oldest, it was no peanut butter or eggs before one. Now it's encouraged! The Bumbo seat was recalled around then too (and replaced with a strap). I remember when crib bumpers were a thing (a little before my oldest though) because you wouldn't want your baby getting entrapped in the crib. Now you wouldn't want those horrible crib bumpers suffocating your baby.

Not to poo poo better guidelines and safety at all...but don't let it freak you out. I cant wait to hear what horrible things I was doing when I'm grandma and my daughter looks at me all shocked

Comment

Working...
                              X