Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sleep Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference between the two types?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
      What's the difference between the two types?
      Cardiac anesthesiologists just have additional training. I think it's an additional fellowship year after the pediatric anesthesia fellowship, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Peds Anesthesia and Cardiac Anesthesia are their own 1-yr fellowships. Peds Cardiac anesthesia do exist, but it’s not a separate accredited fellowship, it’s a sub-sub specialty that can be achieved different ways.

Anesthesiology choices aren’t really cardiology’s call, you should discuss with your surgeon AND with the anesthesiologist themselves. Anesthesiology is its own speciality for a reason and someone should probably ask them what they say about what kind of anesthesia is needed. Do they do a pre-anesthesia clinic at the hospital? That’s where cardiology’s recommendations, health history, pertinent labs are all reviewed and a detailed anesthetic plan is outlined. Part of the plan would be the anesthesia team deciding who the best anesthesiologist for the case would be.
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

^^I agree with this^^
          You may get the same answer because it's not a cardiac surgery but I would definitely ok this with anesthesia first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
            Peds Anesthesia and Cardiac Anesthesia are their own 1-yr fellowships. Peds Cardiac anesthesia do exist, but it’s not a separate accredited fellowship, it’s a sub-sub specialty that can be achieved different ways.

Anesthesiology choices aren’t really cardiology’s call, you should discuss with your surgeon AND with the anesthesiologist themselves. Anesthesiology is its own speciality for a reason and someone should probably ask them what they say about what kind of anesthesia is needed. Do they do a pre-anesthesia clinic at the hospital? That’s where cardiology’s recommendations, health history, pertinent labs are all reviewed and a detailed anesthetic plan is outlined. Part of the plan would be the anesthesia team deciding who the best anesthesiologist for the case would be.
            Thanks for clarifying! We did discuss with both - we first discussed with ENT, and she thought cardiac anesthesia was appropriate, but the anesthesia NP we met with afterward in the preop clinic did not. All hospitals have different protocols, and our previous hospital used cardiac anesthesia for all single ventricle kids until their Fontan (3rd surgery, which C hasn't had), and then use general pediatric anesthesia afterward as long as they are healthy/stable. So, when C had his surgery for tubes/circumcision, he had cardiac anesthesia, even though it wasn't a cardiac case. The protocol here is to use cardiac anesthesia until after the Glenn (2nd surgery, which C has had). I wasn't aware of that going into the appointment, so I was surprised by it. But, now that I've talked to anesthesia and his cardiologist, I feel more comfortable with it.
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Sleep Study

Eh, nm.
              Last edited by scrub-jay; 10-31-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                Did you get to chat with a physician anesthesiologist or just the CRNA? In your shoes, I’d be pushing for a physician anesthesiologist in the room.

ETA: Yes, there is a big rivalry between CRNAs and physician anesthesiologists. CRNA programs have renamed themselves as “doctoral” programs, so some introduce themselves as Dr. So and so. With complicated cases, I highly recommend pushing for an anesthesiologist, not an anesthetist.
                She told me she was a NP with anesthesia, I think? Definitely not a doctor, although she seemed knowledgeable enough about his history. C's cardiologist did talk to the cardiac anesthesia team about it afterward as well and confirmed that the pedi general anesthesiologists are familiar with his single ventricle physiology, plus the cardiac anesthesiologists will be available in case anything does come up.

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                  She told me she was a NP with anesthesia, I think? Definitely not a doctor, although she seemed knowledgeable enough about his history. C's cardiologist did talk to the cardiac anesthesia team about it afterward as well and confirmed that the pedi general anesthesiologists are familiar with his single ventricle physiology, plus the cardiac anesthesiologists will be available in case anything does come up.
                  This sounds good. I’d also be comfortable knowing that cardiac and Peds anesthesia have been looped in on C’s case. I suspect the Peds anesthesiologist they have in mind is probably the best choice.

Comment

Surgery is tomorrow!

Comment

Thinking of you and your family.
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thinking of you guys!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Everything went well! He's resting comfortably and will spend the night in the hospital for monitoring because of his heart.

Comment

Glad it was uneventful. Hope the little dude starts feeling better soon
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Great news!

Comment

Working...
                                X