Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

For those parents who have BTDT -- KINDERGARTEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those parents who have BTDT -- KINDERGARTEN

Hey Guys,

DH and I start our "tours" in the next month. We basically have to declare by March for the folling fall. There is open enrollment here which means you can basically choose any school you want as long as you will provide transportation.

So far we will tour four public schools, and three private schools. Some schools offer full day kindergarten, some do not. Full day is extra $$ of course. Since we are new to the area I really want to do our own research and NOT rely on what "I've heard." As a former educator, I've found that parents can be um, less than objective when it comes to evaluating different schools.

Any tips? I feel fairly prepared and I DO have some strong opinions but I also believe that walking through a school during the day gives you a vibe you CANNOT research. Public schools promise that younger siblings get in if an older sibling attends so I'm not too worried about that.

So-- how did you approach this and are you happy with what you decided? Would you have done anything differently?
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Re: For those parents who have BTDT -- KINDERGARTEN

We can't open enroll here very easily -- it's an option but there is a lottery for spaces. We based a lot of the decision on where we live on the local school. I'm happy with the decision in that there isn't another public school I would rather be at. Private schools are a whole different discussion.

Anyway, things I would look for or try to find out about. How active are parents in the volunteering scene? School funding seems to be better in your state but here there is a HUGE difference between schools based on programs run by parents or augmented by volunteer time. How are discipline issues handled? Not that your kids are going to be getting in trouble , but how does the school handle children who might be disrupting the classroom?

Music, art, PE, etc but we supplement that with violin lessons, private art classes, soccer and swimming. That is in short supply at the schools around here. :huh:

There are more things to look for, those are just some ideas off the top of my head. I'm sure you have already thought of class size and that sort of thing. Do all the schools use the same reading program? That is such a big part of kindergarten that I would ask about that as well.

Comment

Some quick free association here....

I have asked for parent references and always finish with "and what don't you like/ what would you improve". I have observed both the classroom and recess time. You see a lot by watching the kids interact. I think that seeing kindness in the kids is equally or more important than the education. Face it, involved parents are going to make good students.

Additionally, I called Xavier University's education department and asked which schools they liked. This provided great leads.

After you observe/meet and greet/talk to the admissions director, go back to your favorite school a second time and do it again. Information is power.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by house elf
        I think that seeing kindness in the kids is equally or more important than the education.
        That is a great point.

Comment

We didn't research private schools since most of them are catholic or Montesorri which we didn't think would be a great fit for DD. Our public schools are heralded as top schools. We don't have school of choice or else I may have chosen another elementary. Our particular elementary doesn't have a principal who is very supportive of the teachers so the teachers aren't as happy as in other schools.

What we did choose was half-time vs full-day. We choose half-time and are very pleased with how it is working out for our situation. We also have DD is a kindergarten enrichment class on her days off which has been wonderful also.

Good luck with this milestone. I remember last year having to enroll in March and it was a big step for me to be ready for that!
          Needs

Comment

Ditto to what Phoebe said. Kindergarten is a big change in the household. Don't underestimate how it will alter your daily life. It is a huge and bittersweet milestone.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'm just envious of the open enrollement plan! Sounds great!

If you talk to parents, try talking to ones who have volunteered in the kindergarten class. If you ask at the office, the secretaries maybe could point you in the right direction. Getting into the classroom last year and meeting the kids really helped me to "know" the system. I got to know the teachers, the rules, and to interact with kids and see what they did on a daily basis. I met some great kids! It made me feel so much more secure about the classroom they were in.

As far as KG teachers go, I have had cuddly wonderful grandma types, but they weren't my favorite. I liked last year's teacher quite a bit. She was reserved, no nonsense, and spoke very quietly to the kids. They all listened to her though. She didn't do a lot of "gimmicks" and no bribery, but she had the class ordered and controlled. She did show affection to the kids, and was great at praising them for their efforts. She was a gem, and you never knew who her favorite kids were. Those are some things I like in a KG teacher.
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
              X