Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

ds no appetite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ds no appetite

My ds (8 y.o) had an illness late last week. Kind of like a cold... main symptom was actually eyes very sensitive to light (spent more than half the day in complete darkness in my closet) also sore throat and a cough. He usually does get his colds in his eyes and is sensitive to light. He seemed fine on Sunday morning and played in his hockey game on Sunday afternoon. Monday after school he came home and fell asleep for the whole night ... missed dinner. I noticed he did not eat one thing from his lunch.
    Tonight, he says his eyes are hungry, but his stomach is not hungry and can't eat.
    Has anyone else noticed your child loss of appetite after a cold? I don't remember this ever.

My dh is out of town tonight... he is usually my common sense barometer who tells me not to worry about these things... so here I am at the computer asking you all.

m

Re: ds no appetite

the whole sensitivity to light thing freaks me out more than the no appetite. My ped has always told me that as long as they're drinking, don't worry about the not eating for a few days.

Comment

I agree the sensitive to light thing is bothersome.

I'm afraid my initial post must sound kind of crazy. I'm a bit like my grandma and want everyone to eat otherwise I'm worried.

It's just that it's been 4 days since he's had the other symptoms... including sore throat and cough and the sensitivity to light (thank goodness... no headache or neck ache with it though). Otherwise he's been pretty active - played hockey, gone to school. He said maybe he doesn't have quite as much energy as usual.

If the light sensitivity is gone, do you think it's okay? Or should I take him to the doc? Maybe I'll call and ask them tomorrow.

Since it's been as long as 4 days... I guess there's still something in there bothering his system.

m

Comment

I was never hungry when I was sick, as a kid. Mom would make sure I always had water on hand, and would make me soup and crackers, which I would eat a tiny bit of. If he's saying his stomach "can't eat", that makes me wonder if it's churned up/nauseated, and he's just not complaining about it? The light sensitivity is kinda weird.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky
          I was never hungry when I was sick, as a kid. Mom would make sure I always had water on hand, and would make me soup and crackers, which I would eat a tiny bit of. If he's saying his stomach "can't eat", that makes me wonder if it's churned up/nauseated, and he's just not complaining about it? The light sensitivity is kinda weird.

He says he stomach doesn't "hurt" or feel like vomiting. Just doesn't want food.

Originally posted by Pollyanna
          I would recommend having him tested from strep. I know he doesn't have the typical signs but his symptoms sound rather suspicious to me. I hope he feels better soon.
          I hope so too. He looked so droopy and tired at bedtime just now. I will call our doctor tomorrow and see what they think. He's had strep many times... but not in a couple years now. Seems like he always had a fever with strep before.

Thanks, everyone.

m

Comment

Thanks for asking.

He seemed a bit better today. I did not call doctor because he ate well at breakfast. He continued to eat well the rest of the day as well! He says he doesn't feel exactly as good as normal, but almost. I guess this bug hit him harder than usual for him. I'm so glad he's doing better!

Thanks for the concern and thoughts...

m

Comment

Working...
            X