Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

birthday parties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birthday parties

So, I'm sure this has been asked before, but... Steven and Isabel have been getting party invitations lately, and they actually are both invited to 2 parties next Sunday. They can go to both- the first is at Build a Bear and the 2nd is at Chuck E Cheese.

Anyway, since they are twins, I don't want to gyp the birthday girls, but I don't want to spend a fortune on b-day presents, either. I usually spend $15 for a kid present, but haven't had 2 of my kids going to the same party together before. Questions:

1) How much do you generally spend for a child's birthday present?

2) Should Steven and Izzy each bring a present, or can they do a combo gift?

Thanks for any opinions here! It will be a non-relaxing day, but... I give up now. I have to leave town to get a non-relaxing sunday I think...
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Re: birthday parties

I would do a combo gift or two smaller gifts from your kids. Birthday gifts get out of control. The mom of the child will probably be happy not to have an extra present to cart home. I don't buy than one gift when both my kids attend parties.
    Needs

Comment

I agree, a combo gift, and I spend $10 or under for kids we don't know (such as a classmate). I often use my Michaels 50% off coupon and spend around $5 for a good box project.

Talking about twins and b-day parties. DS was invited to a classmate's party. And another mom and I were trying to figure out if it was a party for twins, as neither of us knew the girl well - but there were so many kids and a ton from another class. And sure enough it was confirmed when they stopped playtime and had cake time. But it was weird, no brother sister signs or anything. And... I yelled at the birthday boy for charging after DS for a basketball, and throwing him down on the floor all ready to punch him. Then the dad come by (who I didn't know for sure if was the dad or not...) and said, but that's what makes playing fun... I wanted to punch him! Anyway, it was a weird party and the brother was way hyper and obviously enabled to be a jerk by dad...

Comment

As long as we're on the kids' birthday party subject, would you object to allowing your 7 to 9 year old son to attend a Laser-Craze party? DS really wants this party, but I'm afraid some kids might not be able to attend because their parents object. What do you think?

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Peggy, I would do a combo gift.

Kelly, I say have the laser party, the more kids that are not allowed to come the better for you
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Kelly,

I think you can probably gauge the environment best where you live. Around here a shoot 'em up party of any sort would be a go for even the youngest kids. Maybe the political-social climate can give you some cues. I'd venture into a couple of nonchalant conversations about water gun fights and see the responses.

Comment

Hey, I used to be one of those "no gun" parents. Now, I'm like, Oh, what can we blow up today? Seriously, we built a huge volcano last summer and we were setting that thing off to high holy Heaven. Even the big boys, BIL, DH, and nephew, had glittery eyes when they saw the explosion.

I did draw the line at his request for a three foot nerf gun because I think Kendall would be the target. He has all the rest, but this one looks like some sort of ground to air missle launch.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by house elf
                As long as we're on the kids' birthday party subject, would you object to allowing your 7 to 9 year old son to attend a Laser-Craze party? DS really wants this party, but I'm afraid some kids might not be able to attend because their parents object. What do you think?

Kelly
                You let me know where / when Jacob is supposed to show up and what Kade would like for his birthday. We'll be there.

I was a HUGE "no gun" mom (still won't allow guns that look like real guns). I started bending the rules with light sabers after I caught one of them using a magnetic "L" (from the refridgerator alphabet) as a gun. I figured I had no chance.

Comment

Sounds fun!

The Build a Bear party the twins went to cost the parents something like $500.

I hope they had a big discount, but I don't think so... There were $15 kids there...
                  And it took 2.5 hours to get all the bears stuffed, dressed, etc., etc.
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                  X