Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

University Model School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University Model School

Have you ever heard of this? I just discovered it last night. It seems like the school of the future, sort of a cross between public school and homeschooling. Right now it's very religiously oriented, but it could be secular(ized?) just as easily. Here's a quick summary:

University-Model Schooling (UMS) is an educational alternative which combines a university type of schedule and learning techniques with parental involvement.

University-model education takes the best aspects of traditional public and private schools, as well as home schools, and molds them into one model. UMS uses a university-style schedule adapted to the elementary, junior, and senior high levels. Professional teachers teaching in their areas of expertise conduct central classroom instruction. Elementary students attend classes on Tuesday and Thursday while secondary students go to school on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Students spend alternative days at home where parents continue their instruction or monitor student progress. Teachers provide parents with detailed instructions for days spent at home.

UMS caters to a wide variety of student needs by allowing a range of enrollment opportunities. A student may choose to take only one or two classes, or may opt to take a full academic load. Much like courses listed in a college catalog, each course description contains information about the course, prerequisites, and parental involvement for that class. Tuition is paid per course, per semester.

Though off-campus parental roles are clearly defined and required in the model, UMS should not be equated with home schooling or home schooling cooperatives. Nor should UMS be understood as traditional classroom education that has simply reduced classroom time (i.e. a Mon/Wed/Fri. classroom agenda). Its significance lies in its ability to effectively partner parents with highly qualified teachers to gain better academic results, especially among average students. This partnership is facilitated by using a university-type schedule and administrative system, while requiring a strong work ethic. The UMS model has proved to be one of the best preparations for students planning on attending college.

I love this idea! What do you think?

Re: University Model School

I too am intrigued by this idea. There is a program locally that enlists this model that I have my eye on for future use. Over the past few years, I realize that I have latent homeschool beliefs and tendencies but am overwhelmed about taking the WHOLE thing on by myself. Nonetheless, I could *completely* supplement course work for two days a week without deteriorating my relationship with my kids or my sanity. (I would be especially pleased if the Montessori model would be employed for the structured component.)

I'm an inherently American WASP, however, and believe that religious education belongs to the parents and at home. I like that my child is exposed to beliefs and traditions other than his own. This is the real world in which he will live. I don't think I could get past this aspect.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
    X