Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

handwriting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handwriting

Both Steven and Isabel (1st grade) consistently get bad marks for handwriting-- like an N for needs improvement, or an S- for less than satisfactory... I never emphasize handwriting- I guess I don't think it's that big of a deal. But is it? Do you worry about handwriting? I figure they'll all be typing by the 4th grade for the most part anyway.

:huh:
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Re: handwriting

I don't think it is a big deal. My boys got a raw deal in the handwriting dept. because of moves and differing methods in the schools they were in during K, 1st, and 2nd grades. In our current school, they are *very* particular about handwriting in K and 1st, and #3 has gotten the best instruction of all three of them, and consequently (even as a leftie) by far has the best handwriting. And still he gets S-. It hasn't hurt the other two.....as long as they are improving, I wouldn't be too concerned, honestly.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

My son is a handwriting disaster. He started typing at the behest of his second grade teacher after several IEP meetings -- just because he had bad handwriting. They thought it must be some motor issue. Maybe it is, but it hasn't held him back. He's in sixth grade and has always been a straight A student since they started handing out grades.

The only place it has "hurt" him has been this year in spelling. His teacher insists that they do their spelling tests in cursive and then she counts a word wrong if it is illegible. This is the first year I haven't addressed the handwriting issue at the outset. I find that if I write a note to the teacher at the beginning of the year - or tell them that handwriting has always been asn issue and it has been addressed by the district, etc. -- the teacher will make sure it doesn't count against him.

I've also been warned that it may be an issue with state testing if an essay is required. The original IEP meetings about his handwriting were mostly concerned with later test scores and getting the issue on record so that he wouild be eligible for handwriting accomodations during testing. I suppose I'll have to keep that in mind.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I wasn't about to stress about it-- my son especially just can't be bothered to take the time to write neatly. Looking at the handwriting from their classmates, both of the kids don't really do a nice job!

Here the essay part for the tests *must* be handwritten-- no cursive allowed. :huh: I can't remember when we start on the written stuff- I think 5th grade along the lines of "explain how you came to the answer in 5b." But 'handwriting accomodations' for standardized tests???

I'm sorry, but the state tests drive me nuts. These kids have too much to worry about in the first place.
        Peggy

Comment

Uh, yeah, handwriting is our weakest subject here, to the point where it obfuscates the level of knowledge that he does have on a subject because his writing is so sloppy.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

us too. we've started to put some emphasis on it b/c we truly couldn't read a thing he was writing. if he just slows down, he can do an okay job.

Comment

I guess I'm mean. J's handwriting has been slipping and we told him that if he has negative remarks in handwriting on his next report card that he will be have to work on his handwriting everyday during the summer. That's just how we roll around here. For us, his handwriting quality slipping is pure laziness, which is unacceptable in this house. If you try your best, then whatever grade you get is what you get. When you're getting poor grades because you're being lazy, that is just not going to fly around here.

Comment

For my kids, it's not a matter of fine motor. Or necessarily laziness. Just boredom, I think. They are in 1st grade only, and are doing well with reading and math. They can use scissors, glue, draw, etc.. I just don't really see handwriting as a terribly important skill, and I really do not want to spend this summer forcing them to practice it... I'd rather keep "learning" stuff to flash cards for math and reading... :huh: I can see many battles to get them to concentrate and slow down, just to work on handwriting...
                Peggy

Comment

Yeah, J even tried to pull the "I got excellent grades in everything else" card. I told him he sounded ridiculous trying to justify being lazy. Excuses are not going to fly around here. J is in the 1st grade.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
                    High school AP tests, and the SATs, still use handwritten essays. Just something to consider - that eventually it might still matter.

But you can always blame doctor genetics, right?
                    It matters in college too.
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

The future testing situation is why my son went through so much diagnosis. I hope we haven't done him wrong by not having an IEP here. At least I have all the initial paperwork from his K-2 workup. For him, it really is some motor or visual issue. He received OT for a year before they decided it could be his 20/100 vision. Who knows? I know that he types everything he can and writes as legibly as he can in testing....but it is horrible looking. I hope they change the testing essays before he gets there in 5 years. I'd imagine they would eventually go to a computer based administration of the test. So many standardized tests are given at computer testing centers now....I can't see why that would be an issue. :huh:
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

I think that several GREs are given on computer - and of course the driver's license test. It has to be more cost effective. You don't have to input all the answers via scan or hire "graders" to score the tests. I'd think the essays could all be emailed or ....outsourced to India .....for scoring.

I suppose there must be issues of security, though.

I think the GREs at the Kaplan centers are the only thing on the computers -- and they aren't internet connected.

I suppose I've effectively I'll stop now.
                        Angie

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan
                          Yeah, J even tried to pull the "I got excellent grades in everything else" card. I told him he sounded ridiculous trying to justify being lazy. Excuses are not going to fly around here. J is in the 1st grade.
                          for me it's more the idea of if the kid has the ability - can effectively demonstrate it, etc. and then CHOOSES not to - that is an issue for me. whether it's boredom, laziness, whatever - if you CAN do it correctly, you SHOULD do it correctly.

I constantly find myself having to reinforce this w/Jacob over MANY different topics - not just handwriting.

Interesting notes about the standardized tests, etc. I assumed that all of that had changed to computers by now.

Comment

I have to admit that I haven't pushed this yet as DS is in 4k. BUT - I really think that having legible handwriting is important.

When I look at something that is jotted down, I do make an instantaneous judgement based on the handwriting. I realize that penmanship will never have the importance it did 50 years ago, but I also think that as parents we need put a value on it.
                            Kris

Comment

The evolution of handwriting.... Kate's handwriting is so different now than last year than the previous year. I think she always got a "S" or something on handwriting, and she's about the laziest kid I know. I don't think Izzy and Steven are quite there yet with hand-eye, to be able to keep it neat and orderly. I asked Izzy about if she knew why she got an S- on an assignment, and she started crying! She said she tried really hard, and she drew a pretty picture, but she. just. can't. write. neatly...

So I'm not going to push it. It can wait another couple of years- it's not worth the stress.

I bet just about anything that the SAT's essay portion will be computerized by the time I have to worry about it-- that's within 5 years for Kate. I can't imagine being a grader of the essays. When they first put a written portion to the test I remember reading articles where people were so shocked at the penmanship, and that kids didn't even know how to write in cursive. Well, that's because they've been typing since 4th grade. Then, the testers started to instruct everyone to print their answers out. That has helped a little, but probably not enough...
                              Peggy

Comment

Working...
                              X