Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Summer Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Reading

I need some book suggestions. DD is steamrolling through her books now. I know that you can't really run out of books to read but we are running into the "not really old enough for the content" dilemma. She loves Cam Jansen, Junie B. , and the Nancy Drew Clue Crew. She *loved* a "My Little Classics" version of A Little Princess.

Re: Summer Reading

I know, I give Junie B a too but my daughter loves them.

How about the Little House on the Prairie books? They have a new(er) edition with color illustrations that is nice, I think our library has just a few copies of those. DD recently read a book about "Clementine" that she really liked. The Littles? The Secrets of Droon series might be age-appropriate for her as well.

Comment

Is she old enough for Magic Tree House? Also, Kate DiCamillo has an early reader series in Mercy Watson.
      Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Mercy Watson is a great suggestion. DD really liked that series.

Comment

I'm trying to gauge whether she is interested in early reader chapter books or more complex picture books. Cornelia Funke wrote a couple of "strong" girl picture books including Princess Pigsty, Pirate Girl, and Princess Knight. We enjoy Pam Munoz Ryan's Mice and Beans, Ludwig Bemelman's Madeline, and Anne Dewdney's Llama, llama Mad at Mama.

I have no experience with any of these chapter books, but I hear Magic school bus is great. Disney has created a new line of Fairy chapter books, if she is looking for something girly.

I regularly scope out Barnes and Nobles' forum entitled "Family Room" for suggestions.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Mercy Watson is a great idea! The Little House series is also a great idea!

She read some of the Magic Treehouse series but she doesn't seem to want to continue. She is very girly. VERY girly. She is going to be a Secret Garden, Little Women, etc. kind of girl. She has already finished all of the Disney Fairy books. She found another gem at the bookstore this weekend: The Tiara Club series. So I was hoping to get some suggestions for books of a little more substance The suggestions are great. . .keep 'em coming.

Comment

I'll have to go peruse DD's bookshelf. There is a fairy series, something about each fairy being a different color.

eta: Still can't find it. I'll look for it on Amazon. I found a few others she might like now or in a few months -- Mrs Piggle-Wiggle series, Sarah Plain and Tall, books by Beverly Cleary (Ramona, etc).

eta #2: Found it, or something similar. She might have read the weather fairies.
              http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Magic-Boo ... 778&sr=8-2

Comment

After Junie B, Kate moved into Boxcar Children books, and the Katie Kazoo series, and there are several series for horse-lovers and the "magic unicorn" type books...

Our library has chapter books for age groups/grade levels. I find that helpful. The "A to Z" mysteries aren't exactly girly, but they are easy enough and interesting enough for all kids IMO.
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

If she likes The Littles, then there is also The Borrowers. If she is old enough for something a little darker then, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. Also all of the Madeline L'Engle books rocked!
                  Kris

Comment

Working...
                  X