Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

shared classroom supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: shared classroom supplies

Last year, we could order school supplies through an organization that provides reduced cost supplies to teachers and kids who can't afford them (they use the savings from big bulk ordering). This year, the school itself is basically doing that and requesting a $25 donation from each student to cover it. We still have the option of buying the supplies ourselves but this is so dang easy I'm going this route. DD has had the same backpack for 3 years and it is falling apart so we will buy that and a new lunchbox, some folders, and a pencil box.

I can't remember what hot lunch costs since school hasn't started yet. I want to say $1.85. I let DD get hot lunch on Fridays but she isn't all that into it anymore. I'm not impressed by the menu...it is very breaded, and "pocketed" and otherwise wrapped. I'm sure they have to meet some minimal nutritional requirements but...blech.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
      Last year, we could order school supplies through an organization that provides reduced cost supplies to teachers and kids who can't afford them (they use the savings from big bulk ordering). This year, the school itself is basically doing that and requesting a $25 donation from each student to cover it. We still have the option of buying the supplies ourselves but this is so dang easy I'm going this route. DD has had the same backpack for 3 years and it is falling apart so we will buy that and a new lunchbox, some folders, and a pencil box.

I can't remember what hot lunch costs since school hasn't started yet. I want to say $1.85. I let DD get hot lunch on Fridays but she isn't all that into it anymore. I'm not impressed by the menu...it is very breaded, and "pocketed" and otherwise wrapped. I'm sure they have to meet some minimal nutritional requirements but...blech.
      That's how our hot lunches are. Yuk.

And I'd be *all over* a $25 fee. That sounds like a great deal.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

i thought i would chime in (we went to ds's orientation today)....i'm not sure if it's because it's wv, and a generally poor state, or if it's becuase ds's new elem. school is one of 'excellence' and in a posh neighborhood...but i don't need to provide supplies for ds or his classroom. the place was totally decked out. their desk had a pencil box, glue stick, markers, pencils..all with his name on it. activity/workbooks....

all he has to bring tomorrow is his back pack and some more frikken frakken forms.

the teacher did say that we may have to bring in a box of tissues as the year goes on...
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
          Originally posted by rainbabies
          i thought i would chime in (we went to ds's orientation today)....i'm not sure if it's because it's wv, and a generally poor state, or if it's becuase ds's new elem. school is one of 'excellence' and in a posh neighborhood...but i don't need to provide supplies for ds or his classroom. the place was totally decked out. their desk had a pencil box, glue stick, markers, pencils..all with his name on it. activity/workbooks....

all he has to bring tomorrow is his back pack and some more frikken frakken forms.

the teacher did say that we may have to bring in a box of tissues as the year goes on...
          I am so very jealous...seriously.

My ds in MS was told he would be charged with a tardy if he didn't have a graphing notebook with the binding on the side. His binding was on the top and this was not specified on the two page list of crap we had to buy. Seriously, is math any different with the binding at the top? It's not like they turn in the notebooks. Could we POSSIBLY focus on what is important like MATH instead of BINDINGS? But I'm not bitter or anything... :banghead: :banghead:
          Geez, that's so silly. I can't believe they would use the attendance as punishment.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies

You're so lucky! Is this the same for the rest of the grade levels?
            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Tara - I feel your pain. My DS was required to have a $100 graphing calculator for algebra. $100 !!!!!!!! I do not remember needing a calculator to learn algebra. I'm still reeling over that. Unbelievable.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
              X