Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

PTAs, PTOs, FFOs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTAs, PTOs, FFOs...

the whole idea is very overwhelming to me.
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Re: PTAs, PTOs, FFOs...

Great idea to start a new thread, Tara. I took the PTO tangent and ran with it in the other one.

I have stayed at arms length from our PTO. I did some of the scut work (room coordinator last year, treats for teachers ... something else I've blocked from my memory), but I have no idea how it all "works". With the baby coming, I have no intention of amping up that involvement this year. I did sign on to help out with the service committee -- but that's it. One of my neighbors is the President this year, and was VP for the prior two years, so I've kept up on what I need to know through her. I'm just *thrilled* about the 1 fundraiser thing this year. THRILLED.

Comment

Dude isn't in public school but I just got thrown under the bus and was elected Treasurer for the Board of Directors.

That said, since I'm apparently the only one on the Board that has actual non-profit administration experience, I'm glad. They had a bit of the 'head in the sand' attitude about things like paying taxes and filing their 990s. So, we are sitting on about $37,000 in penalties and back taxes. Yay. My mission is to get this all cleaned up and get the organization back on track.

They have plenty of money to pay the fees, but for whatever reason, they just haven't gotten their act together to file. The accountant and I are best friends these days.

We also 90% decided to keep him at Crunchy School for at kindergarten next year. I may keep him there until 3rd grade and then transfer him to a different private school.

Jenn

Comment

Breaking my foot, has served as my "get out of jail free card" when it comes to all of that stuff!
        I did promise to help out DS's classroom once it's all healed !

Comment

I served as the charitable giving campaign coordinator for DS's previous school. It was to know that even though we paid tuition, the school still counted on raising $40,000 to 60,000 each year just to break even.

In previous years, parents complained of donor fatigue, so we took a big gamble. At the beginning of the year, I sent a letter stating that the school understands that parents can not be expected to donate time, money, and energy at every turn. This letter set forth all the figures available to strenghten our fundraising position: what the local district spent per student (tuition was slightly less than this amount), what tuition did and did not cover, what the average montessori education cost per pupil nationwide, and what we expected to raise through various fundraisers. We then proposed to streamline all fundraising into three major events: charitable giving campaign, auction, and winter party. Families rallied to support these events. Surprisingly, we met our financial goals with only these three events.

Compare that experience with DS's current school. Every stinking week we are asked to buy cookie dough, patronize local restaurants that support the school, buy wrapping paper, blah, blah, blah. I have heard many parent complaints that the school always wants more. Because we may only be at this school
          temporarily, I have done very little volunteering with DS's school. If we end up staying here, however, I'm going to strenously suggest major changes to fundraising because this school is shooting itself in the foot.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'm unsure of the annual budget of the PTO since we are new to the school this year. They ask families to join the PTO for a minimum of $20 and whatever else they wish to contribute. I threw away the paper of what it covers. They have several fundraisers including the damn wrapping paper, monthly market day and I think a carnival this year. The VP lives in my neighborhood so I should get up to speed. The volunteer form came home today so I will be signing up for a couple things I'm sure. I prefer to spend my time closer to my daughter's classroom.
            Needs

Comment

I don't know what the budget is, but I do know the school has done some cool fundraisers- on-line auctions with items donate by the parents and other members in the community (vacation stays, massages, spa packages, gift cards, rafting trip, reserved parking spot at the school, window coverings, book club for a child and 2 other friends for the summer, home decor items, wine, etc.) Another one they had a book drive, and one day of the book sales, all the proceeds were donated to the school or books if you chose to donate the books. They had a jump rope event for the American Heart Association. Of course they participate in the Box Tops for Education, and had a big drive for the summer where they asked each student to collect 25 box tops over the break, and for each 25 you turn in the student is entered into a drawing for a prize. They also did a contest in the spring- class with the most Box Tops got an Ice Cream Party.

Our PFA (Parent-Faculty Association) heads up Teacher Appreciation, Newsletter, Yearbook, school directory, and some other things I can't remember at the moment. To be a member I think it is $15. The parents are also encouraged to volunteer in the classroom. This year I will be able to volunteer, and I am hoping to do it once a week. I don't know if I will get on the PFA. I need to look at where the need for people is, and see if it will fit in our lives.
              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Our PTO is huge. It's a competitive social scene as well. The annual budget brushes 250 K each year, so it funds a significant element of the school "extras". (That's the entire district PTO.) We have volunteer work at all four school buildings. In the 7-12 range it is mostly behind the scenes fundraising. In the lower grades, there is more student contact. It can easily be a part time job. Many of the PTO "players" have ended up employed by the district or local organizations, so it isn't just busy work for all the over-educated parents around here. Lots of politics. Sometimes it is hard to determine the reasons behind someone's "help". Are they workingin the classroom to be close to their kid? Are they trying to get to know the district heads and teachers? Do they *just* want to help out the schools? (Tricky bastards! ) Are they trying to meet people in the community? So much to consider! Obviously, it's a good atmosphere for a busy body like me....

Still... I'm happy both my kids are now in "upper" grades. After grade four, the mommy-competitive element slows down and you get more legitimate involvement. I never know what to do with all the mommy sniping. Ignore it and you have no power. Participate and you lose your mind. SOOOOO glad that's over now. On to the preteen years! (Egad. I've found something positive about the preteen years!)
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We have a foundation (a non-pofit 501c3) and a PTA (I think...or PTO?). The PTA does the usual PTA sort of stuff -- coordinate volunteers, enrichment programs, run the coat closet -- and also did fundraising for a new playground and additional a/c. They do a school carnival, sell wrapping paper, and special campaigns for the big ticket items like the playground. The foundation funds teaching positions, around $150k, and raises funds through the auction and direct giving. It sort of drives me crazy that this much is raised to make a good school but it is less expensive that private school.

Comment

Working...
                  X