Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Little Girl toy suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little Girl toy suggestions

I know what they are but I didn't have one when I was child, I'm not sure when they came out in relation to my age but I'd never heard of them until a few years ago.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I certainly didn't learn about American Girl dolls until I was a mom! But....I am old.

My own daughter played mostly with plastic horses and barns for the last several years. Only now, at 9, does she show any interest in dolls. She has an American Girl doll and some clothes for her. She has AG playdates with her friends now and some times takes her on sleepovers. I'm surprised that Kris' daughter moved away from AG at 9 when my daughter is just discovering them - but that also seems the norm for many of the girls around here. They all got AG and other dolls at 5 or so and maybe they are just done with that now. :huh: I wish they didn't grow up that fast. I like to encourage outdoor toys like jump ropes and stomp rockets. What about Lite-Brite and art related stuff? Easy Bake had a nice run in this house when I set it up and let her have at it on her own in a kitchen corner for months. I think she was about 6 or so. Messy - but edible. As for Lego and building stuff, I always liked the huge models best and we worked on them together for days. DD, DS and I put together several massive Lego and Megablocks projects. I'd like to try that with the Knex roller coasters now that they are older. Still, it was always together work, not separate. DD did the dinosaur models on her own at 5 or so. The pieces came in a giant egg, so that was amusing for her.

Our most long lived and popular toys have been plastic characters from all walks of the toy kingdom that have been assigned a special name/lifestory by my children. They have a whole world created around this random hodgepodge of plastic dinosaurs, stuffed unicorns, eerie skeleton heads and fairies. We keep them in a huge plastic bin. That's about all we have left from the "toy phase" beyond collectible horses and AG dolls. For my girl, less is more. She's so much calmer now that she has only a few toys and books in her room. (DS could care less and lives well in clutter.)
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My daughter is almost 4 and she plays with the little legos but she also has an older brother. Both of my kids absolutely LOVE Playmobil. I get them from kidssurplus.com They have unicorns and fairies and just too many things to chose from. We probably have 5 bins of just playmobil toys. We also have a few Corolle dolls which you can also get from kidsurplus. And she loves the my little pony play sets.

Comment

Playmobil rocks.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Oh heck, my reply just got deleted.

Anyway, DD1 wants an AG doll, too. She will be 5.5 at Christmas and I think I'm going to try to hold out longer. I would rather get it for her when she is older. I'm going to see how much she talks about it between now and then.

Legos are great. I used to love playing legos with my brother.

We love Calico Critters here. DD1 has played with them consistently for 2.5 years and is still going strong. DD2 is now in love with them, too. They are fantastic for imaginative play, fine motor skills (some of the pieces are SO TINY!! But they love it. . .) You can get all kinds of "critters" on ebay, too. . .skunks, deer, ducks, etc.

Comment

I used to drool over the AG catalog when there were only about 4 dolls in it. I wanted Samantha, LOL. Never got one though. My little brother got Lego for every Christmas and we had an arrangement where he could build it the first time, then I could break it down and build it myself from scratch, LOL. I loved the pirate ship!
              Alison

Comment

Oh and I just remembered how much both my girls love to play with The Littlest Petshop toys. They're a big hit in our home.
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                X