Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

A fun article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fun article

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... yesterday/

From Laura Bennet of Project Runway fame. She makes me feel on top of this mothering thing ... still feel like a fashion schlump, but I'm totally okay with that.

Re: A fun article

Hysterical. I hate the helicopter mommies. I am definately in the let them be camp. Granted, mine is not quite 6, but if the windows are open and we can here them, then they can play together outside alone. They know to stay out of the street and there is safety in numbers (the stupidity in numbers will come later).

It is good for them to be trusted and to make their own decisions.
    Kris

Comment

that was to be tongue in cheek...yes?? because if it's not, i didn't see much humor in it.

i didn't cry when ds started school, i don't look forward to vacations (because of the arguing, tattle tale, whining...)

i don't hover...and protect my kids from everything either.

i think i'm right down the middle.
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I read it as tounge-in-cheek (as I related it to my life, anyway). I tear up just as much as the next mom at first (and last) day of school ... but I do NOT have my very own nametag b/c I'm at the school so much (as many moms do in my neighborhood). I think there are extremes to everything, and Laura's article stressed the more ... hands off / hired help approach as opposed to those helicopter mommies.

Comment

I thought she was funny in her attempt to be over-the-top (and I am a well-known school volunteer). This article catered to those days when you felt like you could easily run away to Mexico and forget this life.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I don't know...I know this isn't in the debate forum, but I thought the tone of the article was terrible. I'm certainly not the hovering mom (my 2 year old is sitting alone at the kitchen table watching sponge bob while I type this ) but I love having summer with my kids to go on adventures and spend time together.

I certainly wouldn't be proud or laugh it off about not knowing where my child's first grade classroom is. Ahem, I know where my 7th graders locker is!!!! I know who my 8th grader sits with at lunch....I pick them up and drop them off all day long....and as much as I sometimes complain about it, I'm happy to be there.

I totally get the need for balance in your life. I'm going to school and doing some things on my own...but I wouldn't pride myself in having the nanny do all of the work.

Maybe it was tongue in cheek, but..it made me feel sorry for her kids.

:huh:

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

See, my take was that sometimes we regular moms kinda envy the type the author describes herself as...like the mom in my playgroup who sent her son out on his second birthday to ride his new battery-operated four wheeler (that thing had some horsepower, too,) without a helmet and without supervision as she busied herself in the house with some snacks for her guest. She wasn't consumed with worry, she was just glad he was entertained. Must be nice! But at the end of the day, I really don't mind being the mom who insists her toddler wears a helmet even to ride his tricycle in the back yard. (Not that I am, or aspire to be, the helicopter parent that HouseOfWool *hates* -- perish the thought, LOL!)

On a similar note, I've only glanced at this blog but it's pretty funny too.

http://bestparentever.com/
              Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
                I really don't mind being the mom who insists her toddler wears a helmet even to ride his tricycle in the back yard.
                I did that too - I saw it as a way to get them used to always wearing the helmet. And it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
                  See, my take was that sometimes we regular moms kinda envy the type the author describes herself as...like the mom in my playgroup who sent her son out on his second birthday to ride his new battery-operated four wheeler (that thing had some horsepower, too,) without a helmet and without supervision as she busied herself in the house with some snacks for her guest. She wasn't consumed with worry, she was just glad he was entertained. Must be nice! But at the end of the day, I really don't mind being the mom who insists her toddler wears a helmet even to ride his tricycle in the back yard. (Not that I am, or aspire to be, the helicopter parent that HouseOfWool *hates* -- perish the thought, LOL!)

On a similar note, I've only glanced at this blog but it's pretty funny too.

http://bestparentever.com/

In my defense... We once had a neighbor who hovered so much that her 5 yo was afraid of his own shadow. Any time he fell, it was a flood of tears. He couldn't make any decisions or choices alone. I swore I would never be that. I try not to take unreasonable risks, but I do let my almost 6 yo play outside without an adult if there are several of them. (Usually there is at least one that is in the 8-12 year old range there too.) Maybe I am to laisse-faire, but heck at 10 I would spend the entire day tramping through the woods behind my parents house with my little sister. We would walk down a country road to a creek and play alone without adults and it was fine. We were shooed out of the house most days!
                  Kris

Comment

Working...
                  X