Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Can I get credit for Home Schooling my child?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get credit for Home Schooling my child?

My daughter is enrolled in public schools. In the next two weeks, we are expected to work on words for a spelling bee, a math assessment, weekly spelling words, a two minute how-to presentation complete with visual aids, weekly reading log/minutes on top of the daily homework. Does my daughter want to do any of this, especially with a cast on. Heck no! This is first grade people! She keeps saying she is going to find a four leaf clover and wish the projects away. She doesn't want to speak in front of her class where parents are encouraged to attend. These are 6 and 7 year olds.
    Needs

It's over the top... When DD1 broke her arm in 3rd grade she got a total pass on all assignments for a long time...

Besides that, they shouldn't force public speaking on 1st graders, IMHO...

How stressful.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I agree Peggy - public speaking is nerve wracking. DS gets all weirded out having to talk about a favorite toy for Show and Tell. I can't even image how panicky he would get over a real speech.
      Kris

Comment

I agree, WAY over the top. First grade homework should be maybe 15 minutes max.

On the opposite side, our 6th grader is turning in all his text books today. Umm, they still have over two weeks of school left. Seriously, we know based on our dd experiences that the teachers are pretty much done teaching from here on out. Even ds is annoyed, he feels like if they are just going to screw around for the next few weeks they should just be able to stay home.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Oh yes, first grade is the make it or break it year for public speaking. It should be optional.

Same here, Tara. Our teachers have been working without a contract this year. I'm not sure what changed but they seem to have checked out since spring break. There is a month left of school. I'm so burned out on this stuff.

Comment

Totally CRAZY. How ever did any of us manage to bumble our way through college and acquire gainful employment without homework in first grade?

I would purchase a copy of "The Case Against Homework" and present it to the teacher as a year end gift for a little enlightening summer reading.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Oh, Kelly...you are genius!

J

Comment

That's evil genius to you, Missy.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                X