Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How much money do you spend on back-to-school clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much money do you spend on back-to-school clothes?

I know that we are all at different points in the process, but I just blew a mind-numbing amount on back-to-school clothes...more than I ever have before...and I am looking to see how everyone else is handling this.

Before going shopping, I went through each of the kids drawers and closets and figured out what they needed. I then opted for a layered option this year for all of them....

I'm going to admit that I overdid it with Zoe...maybe a lot...She is starting preschool 5 days/week and I went to the outlet malls where they have a gymboree store. I have never been able to afford gymboree. Amanda wore used clothes long before they had once upon a child to recycle gymboree...and by the time we could sort of afford it, she was not interested.

I bought zoe 7 dresses , 3 sweatersch (that match the dresses so that they can be layered in the winter), 3 stockings (thick), 2 pairs of shoes , one pair of jeans and one long-sleeved shirt. I also got some hair things. Again...I told you that I totally overdid it and I spent more on her than any of the kids, but...it came to $300 .

She doesn't have any clothes really besides shorts and some tank-tops/tank-top dresses for summer, so I had to buy something. Even though I spent a large quantity of money, I got a LOT of stuff.

For Aidan, I got 6 t-shirts and 3 long-sleeve t-shirts, 2 pairs of jeans and one pair of cargo pants...oh...and a heavy sweat-shirt that he can use as a fall jacket. He has some lighter sweatshirts here at home that he can use to layer during the winter. The boys aren't into sweaters, so this seems best. I spent about $135-$145 for this stuff.

Alex got expensive shoes (they were $39 ) and 3 t-shirts (each cost $11). I also bought 2 pairs of jeans and 1 pair of cargo pants for him. Grand total was $140.

Andrew was most difficult. He grew this summer and nothing he has fits him. All of his t-shirts etc are a size too small. I went to aeropostale and got him 2 for 1 t-shirts, 2 pairs of jeans (gap) and then some pac sun t-shirts (3 at $14/shirt at the outlet mall). I suppose I spent about $150 on him too.

I didn't get anything for Amanda yet.

So grand total that I'm sitting at here is

around $750

This does not include Amanda and does not include school supplies.

Thomas had a cow.

I know I should have gone easy on the stuff for Zoe, but I never get out to the outlet malls and never really buy her cute things.

I am stimulating the economy, right?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

You're going to end up with tons of back to school clothing for all of them and all their back to school supplies for less than $200 per kid. I'd say you're really not doing that badly.

And you can donate any outgrown stuff that can't be passed down and reused, and claim it as a tax credit, which will also offset the cost.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I need to do what you did -- inventory what they have and need. I don't think that what you spent is unreasonable for new clothing. Feel better?

I spent about $75 for two for school supplies. That doesn't include backpacks or lunchboxes because we will use last years stuff.

Comment

It doesn't sound too bad to me. My mom spent $100 each for clothes on my sister and me, and that was about 15 years ago and a rural community.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Kris we spend 300 on school supplies alone, and that is only some of the stuff on the list. Plus 500 for books for dd. This year was about 800 total for clothes and shoe. I use coupons for all I can and shop sales but everything is expensive.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Catholic school uniform. Gym = $120; Pants/Shirts/socks/shoes = $150 (and thanks, DCJenn, for the tip re: JCPenney...ordered all online, no shipping...!).

Comment

I do not do back to school clothing shopping for the boys. Our school allows shorts, so they'll just wear what they wore all summer. When the seasons change I'll evaluate what they need. I buy it as they need it rather than trying to guestimate what size they'll need when.

Our supplies were about $70 - I do the "school ordered" ones. It was sooooooo much easier last year.

FWIW - I don't think it's a crazy amount.

Comment

i have no idea what i spent...not much.

ds has some nice shorts and polos that still fit him. i went to sears and did lay a way this summer. i got him more shorts and shirts, undershirts, undies, socks, and sneakers.

dd #1 stars K. many of her things still fit her and are in great shape. she has skirts with the built in shorts, and some cute bermuda shorts. mostly, i got her tops because the elem school frowns on the no sleeve look. she also got new undershirts, socks, undies, and shoes. also lay a way at sears.

dd#2, preschool two days a week. she and dd#1 are the same size and can share clothing. she also has the skirts with built in shorts...so, for the rest of the warm weather, she can wear the shirts dd#1 can't. she got new shoes and sock, and undies.

when the fall clothing comes out, i will lay a way winter clothing. ds, will only need a few shirts, and some pants.

it's the girls who will need the bulk of the clothing. i will hit up the consignment shops first, then sears for lay a way. we just don't have the money to buy at once...and we shredded the credit cards...so...we be doin the po' man's credit. lay. a. way.

eta: i need to find a winter coat for ds. he had a great timberland that i found at marshalls marked down to $16 from $80 last year. i thought i could eek two years out of it, but it didn't happen. happy to say that i found an LLbean and columbia for dd's at consignment last year...they will fit again this year. so, ds needs some bibs and a coat. it's hard to find them in his size range, used...and in good shape. seems the boys are rough on clothing at this age.
                Last edited by rainbabies; 08-07-2009, 07:09 AM.
                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I think it depends on how you shop. When we were kids, we were allowed $100 on back to school clothes PLUS a first day of school outfit. The only other times we got clothing were at Christmas and birthdays for gifts (and we all had winter b-days, so none of that would work for fall).

For DD, I now shop end of season clothing for next year because she's stabilized in growth so that she's roughly in the same size as her age (she'll be 4 in November and is just growing into 4's). I've saved a ton of money doing it that way, but it's a risk. I have two nieces that she can pass clothes down to, so I guess I justify it in that if something doesn't fit, it will still get use. I can get really cute dresses at Gymboree, VonMaur, Nordstrom, etc for about $10-$15 doing it that way.

I also spend little money on myself and kind of figure that the kids are my spending outlet. We scrimped all the years of training when I was making decent money, so it's payback, right????
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I buy end of season clothes a year ahead of time. I've only been burned once by this when DD spout up two sizes instead of one. I have no idea.

My oldest wears the grungiest stuff that I will let him get away with. It has become a bit of a battle. It is a waste to buy him nice collared shirts. He burns through tennis shoes and socks every other month.

DD, well she IS my only DD. She has the benefit of my inability to find too much cute stuff for myself. I have just channeled my shopping impulse towards her. I really don't want to know what I spend on her annually. Probably several hundred dollars.

The baby received enough clothes to last until he is two. With a third baby, clothes tend to be the primary baby gift.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies View Post
                      ieta: i need to find a winter coat for ds. he had a great timberland that i found at marshalls marked down to $16 from $80 last year. i thought i could eek two years out of it, but it didn't happen. happy to say that i found an LLbean and columbia for dd's at consignment last year...they will fit again this year. so, ds needs some bibs and a coat. it's hard to find them in his size range, used...and in good shape. seems the boys are rough on clothing at this age.
                      Sylvia - what size is he? I may be able to help you out (and for many years to come as well).

Comment

You guys saw the JCPenney order- five white polos, one dark green polo, five pairs of khaki shorts and one pair of pants- including tax and shipping (didn't get the free shipping deal) it was $165.

I still need to get him some new shoes and the school supplies- my mom wants to get him the school supplies. The shoes will be expensive because I'm going to get him Stride Rite again since his feet are so wide.

It'll be hot enough for shorts here through mid-November.

Jenn

Comment

Look for a Stride Rite outlet, Jenn. They sell last-season's shoes (no seconds, just leftovers) for 1/2 price.

Comment

JC Penney is on ebates. Land's End does uniform stuff and is on ebates. I bet that Penney's is less expensive than Land's End though.
                            Last edited by cupcake; 08-07-2009, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
                              Sylvia - what size is he? I may be able to help you out (and for many years to come as well).
                              thanks jenn, for the offer! he is a 6 or a small 7. that would be so helpful and much appreciated if you could hook me up with a good winter coat. the boy loves to play in the snow!

thank you.
                              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                              X