Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Weight Gain in 3 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Gain in 3 year old

DD#3 had her 3 year old well-check today. She gained 10lbs in one year putting her in the 95th percentile for weight. Her height is 80th. Her ped wasn't too concerned because she said kids typically gain their birth weight in a year which was over 8lbs. She doesn't typically overeat and wasn't underweight to start. Holy moly!

My other two daughters have historically gained 3 to 5 lbs a year. Dd#3 is built more like my husband who has an apple-shaped body. Both of his parents are obese. I heard the nurses outside our room snickering about my daughter. That ticked me off. Anyone else have a child gain significant weight between check ups?
    Needs

Originally posted by Phoebe View Post
    I heard the nurses outside our room snickering about my daughter. That ticked me off. Anyone else have a child gain significant weight between check ups?
    Okay - I think I would have LOST it if the nurses were snickering about my child. In fact I would have said something to them FOR SURE.

I haven't been in the same situation - I have been on the other side of the fence where my daughter couldn't gain weight...so I don't have any advice about that!
    But I am SO mad for you!!!!!!

I am sure she is just fine. I think that as long as you all are eating healthy meals, teaching good habits with food, exercise etc etc.... she will be a-okay!

Comment

With he weight being pretty much in line with her height, I wouldn't be too concerned. Id be pissed, though about the snickering & I'd probably say something. Your daughter might not be old enough to 'get it', but with all of the body image issues for girls, it's not a good way to behave

Comment

Oh, I would be PISSED off about the nurses as well and would definitely speak to someone in the office about that. DH just had to take care of a similar problem with his nurses.

Comment

Originally posted by Makai View Post
          Oh, I would be PISSED off about the nurses as well and would definitely speak to someone in the office about that. DH just had to take care of a similar problem with his nurses.
          Phoebe: If your pediatrician is not concerned, I wouldn't be. Do the usual stuff: don't allow mid-meal snacks except for fruits and veggies, dilute fruit juice, and eliminate sodas, and encourage physical activity. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry or do anything that might make her pickup on your concerns about her weight.

And I would return to the pediatrician's office, with your husband and without your kids, and talk directly to the pediatrician about his unprofessional staff. If they are willing to belittle your child, I'm sure they've done it to others. That is just horrible and nasty.

Comment

I would be pissed if someone was snickering about my kids too.

As your daughter's height and weight aren't too far apart, I wouldn't worry about her. I wish that they would give the weight to height percentile. It makes a huge difference.

That said - Sophie has gained 13 pounds in 8 months! She has nearly tripled her birth weight and we still have 4 months to go until she is a year.
            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
              I wish that they would give the weight to height percentile. It makes a huge difference.
              We get this, on a chart that looks like this:

http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite...ources/696.pdf

I agree with what everyone else has said, both about your daughter and the nurses.
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks for the link Julie!
                Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
                  With he weight being pretty much in line with her height, I wouldn't be too concerned. Id be pissed, though about the snickering & I'd probably say something. Your daughter might not be old enough to 'get it', but with all of the body image issues for girls, it's not a good way to behave
                  What she said, ESP about the body image stuff. Granted, T is only 3, but what if she was older and understood what they were saying? Completely unprofessional nor compassionate. WTH. I probably would have popped the door open and said "I CAN hear you!!!" Grrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe View Post
                    I heard the nurses outside our room snickering about my daughter. That ticked me off. Anyone else have a child gain significant weight between check ups?

I have a great deal of admiration for your complete self control. Me? I'd have lost my shit all over both of them. I still wouldn't rule out having a chat with the office manager, pediatrician AND both of the offending asshats who think it's the height of comedic genius to make fun of a toddler within earshot of said kid.

I wouldn't worry even a little bit about your daughter's weight. Of our three kids, our oldest was a little chubby as a toddler and is now a healthy 5'5", 110 lb. 14 y/o who makes great decisions (for the most part) about what she chooses to shove down her gullet.

Comment

Working...
                    X