Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Red Bag Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bag Project

Every year our school does the "Red Bag Project" where each classroom adopts a less-fortunate child and provides gifts from their wish list. In the past we've gotten mittens / scarf / hat, small toys -- gifts along those lines. This year Jacob selected "scooter" off of the tree in his classroom. A scooter. Of course he did. The kid's wish list has a lot more reasonable stuff on it, but my kid picks the scooter. Frankly, I'm annoyed at the Red Bag coordinator for allowing something that pricey to go on the wish lists. They run around $50 (that was the cheapest at the store today)! Quinn's gift was more reasonable - I spent about $20 (the little girl asked for anything Tinkerbell, so I got her a Tinkerbell toy set). I opted not to buy the scooter while at ToysRUs and do some shopping around.

I considered emailing his teacher and asking to have him pick something slightly less expensive, but then I feel like a scrooge, b/c truth be told we can afford to buy a damn scooter, but still -- $50 is a lot.

That happened to my mom last year- she picked a tag that said LeapFrog toy on it, not realizing all that entailed.

She ended up getting it figuring that she could afford it and all that. But, I agree that the lists should have been somewhat moderated.

What about at Kmart or Sears?

Jenn

Comment

We got the regular razor scooter for ds last year. It was his "big" gift. I got it at walmart or kmart. And it was $50. I think that's the average price. What about a new, in box, from eBay? If that's the gift you end up getting....
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I don't think you are a scrooge - the prices should be moderated - or the parents should have some say in the gift tag choices. That is poor thinking on the teachers part, although you may not be one, there are many families where $50 is the "big gift" amount - or the "not affordable" amount. I agree with shopping around online and ebay. And aren't there quite a few injuries associated with scooters -- or am I thinking of something else? Are you expected to include the protective gear as well? Okay, now I am the scrooge. Truth be told, sometimes I'll exceed that amount for less-fortunate families during the holidays, but I prefer to get an assortment of gifts. I've seen gift lists that included the Wii...(if DH had to wait 3 years for me to get it...that is a big big purchase for any family) but also I've seen ones that included a "microwave, because our oven doesn't work" yea, I spent more on that family that year. Good luck!!
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I'm sure there are a lot of injuries associated with scooters. My kids have to wear a helmet when they ride theirs. Now I feel like I'm irresponsible if I don't provide a helmet as well. Of course they won't go together -- all of the gifts have to be turned in unwrapped, and then they get wrapped by the service club.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
            I'm sure there are a lot of injuries associated with scooters. My kids have to wear a helmet when they ride theirs. Now I feel like I'm irresponsible if I don't provide a helmet as well. Of course they won't go together -- all of the gifts have to be turned in unwrapped, and then they get wrapped by the service club.
            Ack! Sorry!! I didn't mean to do that to you...sorry!! I should be quiet!!
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
              How about asking the teacher for another item because "as a parent you would not get your child a scooter since it is an accident waiting to happen - in fact, you are against scooters and you want the little boy to be safe " Not scrooge-ish - just concerned.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                How about asking the teacher for another item because "as a parent you would not get your child a scooter since it is an accident waiting to happen - in fact, you are against scooters and you want the little boy to be safe " Not scrooge-ish - just concerned.
                that's a good idea...unless Q or J says something...

i think it's ankle injuries that happen with the scooters? whatever you decide, jenn...good luck! i know you will make a good decision, and the child will be happy to have something special to open.

Comment

After re-reading the teacher's email about the red bag, I felt comfortable enough to send her an email telling her that $50 was really more than I'd planned, and that I also would have felt compelled to buy the accompanying safety gear as well. Her initial announcement said "if you decide not to buy the item on your ornament, please send it back in and your child can select something else." , so I'm guessing I'm not the first to get the "what the he!!" kind of request. I told her I'd appreciate it if she could guide Jacob to something in the $20 to $25 range.

I would just have expected that the committe would have some sort of dollar guidelines for these things, and frankly, if the said "Gifts range from $10 to $50" I probably would have expected for spend $100 between the two kids. But really! This is Kansas, where my family of 3 is almost considered tiny. If people with 4 and 5 kids are buying 4 or 5 $50 gifts ...

Comment

good. glad you have something to go by now. good luck with getting another gift request!

Comment

Working...
                    X