Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

A good moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good moment

I've been feeling... stressed in general. Life is crazy. I can never catch up. As soon as I try to clean something, anything, the toddler is at the same time destroying another area of the house. It's definitely one step forward two steps back. Her naps are 45 minutes if I'm lucky...

BUT,

I have really been feeling like it's *necessary* for me to be home and available 24-7 for my kids lately. And I've taken a lot of satisfaction in that knowledge that I really am the one who is equipped for all this... I think feeling needed is really key, isn't it?

Yesterday this all came home for me in a moment-- and I felt content right then... Truly content. I was talking to Steven, my uber-independent, sort of aloof, very confidant young man of 8 years old... the one who since age 2 has been taking on the *man of the household* role when DH is gone... Anyway, he was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. He's been doing great, checking his sugars, etc. I was telling him that the health aide was not going to be there at school the next day to give him his insulin at lunch, but the school nurse would be there (she only comes by once a week- so he doesn't know her well.) I asked him if he wanted me to come to give him the shot--- I thought, this is Steven, he'll be like, "I don't care, she can do the shot, whatever...", but he jumped all over the offer. He said, "OK" in that hopeful way he has-- like I had just asked him if he wanted to play the Wii for 3 hours.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but it is to me... It made me feel important, and it's hard to feel important sometimes as a SAHM... But I know I'm important and necessary to these 5 little people-- and in the end, I know I won't regret being here, doing this job, even though often I feel like no more than a taken-advantage-of-dreams-gone-by-the-wayside-homemaker...

But in that moment... I was content. That just might pull me the rest of the way through this week!!!
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Oh Peggy you are one of my heroes on here!!!!
    YOU ARE BEYOND IMPORTANT!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing this moment!

Comment

That is really great - you deserve to feel needed. I'm glad that you got a brief glimpse into the appreciation that I'm sure each of your kids feel but don't express (if that makes sense?).

Hugs to you! Enjoy your moment!!
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

You are an awesome mom and I love reading your candid posts about the rollercoaster of life, marriage, and motherhood. I know you're busy, but keep 'em coming because I read them with relish.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but it is to me... It made me feel important, and it's hard to feel important sometimes as a SAHM... But I know I'm important and necessary to these 5 little people-- and in the end, I know I won't regret being here, doing this job, even though often I feel like no more than a taken-advantage-of-dreams-gone-by-the-wayside-homemaker...

But in that moment... I was content. That just might pull me the rest of the way through this week!!!
        Awesome. I hope that you find many more ways to see the extraordinary in the ordinary in the days and weeks to come. Steven is a lucky little man.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

That is really a beautiful moment! He is lucky to have you!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Peggy-

That was awesome to read and certainly well-deserved. You have the most underappreciated job in the universe!

Thanks for sharing.

Jenn

Comment

What an awesome post! You definitely deserve to feel appreciated!
              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

That is really wonderful. And extra kudos to you for taking the time to realize and appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post

What a touching moment. Thank you so much for sharing.

I agree 100% with the above but at times I feel undervalued too.

YOU DO MATTER -- to your little people. Your worth is all over their faces and what they value and who they are as people. Intangible as this may be, it's all worth it.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I loved reading this, Peggy. He's a lucky kiddo to have you!
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Thanks all!
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

That was an awesome post. Thank you so much for sharing. I am still "learning" how to be a SaHM and become content in my decision. I appreciate the window into the life of a pro!

Comment

Peggy, you are awesome. When I read many of your posts I am in awe of your wisdom.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Isn't it great to know that your child really appreciates you? That's sweet.

Comment

from one mom to another

I am a working mother and at times still feel the same way...I find it mainly when I give, give , give to others and ignore my needs.
                              Take time to treat yourself so you can remember who you are as a person. You are more than a wife and a mother. Remind yourself why you are wonderful. Are you creative, a good dancer, good at cooking, artistic...the list will suprise you.
                              Always remember to smile, it always makes a tough day better.

Comment

Working...
                              X