Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

birthday party question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birthday party question

Steven wants a baseball party package from the minor league team here. This includes admission for up to 10 buddies to the game plus some other assorted goodie- baseball themed. His name will be on the readerboard, all that good stuff. It is minor league baseball, so it's pretty much as expensive as any other party except for one held in your own house. BUT, the games start at 6 pm. There is one Sunday afternoon game at 2 pm, but it is Thomas themed. Steven used to adore Thomas the Tank Engine, but that was when he was... 3 or 4. Not 9.

My question is:

Would you let your 9 year old going into 4th grade go to a Saturday night baseball game where he'd be gone from your care from 5 pm to around 10 pm. We probably wouldn't be able to get the boys back until then.

OR

Should we do the afternoon game, which would not infringe on anyone's bedtime.

This party would be in June, probably just as school is getting out.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

I would do the evening game. Can parents stay with their child but pay their own way? At that age our boys would have wanted either dh or I to stay. I always give that information on the invitations, "if you or a sibling would like to take part in the festivities tickets will cost, etc". If it doesn't cost too much extra I just say, "parents and siblings welcome, please rsvp with total number attending party".

Sounds like a ton of fun!!
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I would go for the night one. They are of the age where sleepovers occur, and no one actually sleeps those nights. I think staying up that late every once in a while is a nice treat.
      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I would definitely go for the evening game!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

OK- I feel much better. Thanks! I also asked Steven's best friend's mom (and she has only one child) and she thought it would be OK, especially if it's not a school night. For her, she thought if she didn't know the parents she would hesitate, but we know most of the parents through scouts and swim team, etc., etc.

Sleepovers are not common out here. Not at all. Kate has some friends who have never been to a sleepover- whenever she has one only about 3 girls can stay. Usually at least 2 or 3 of them get picked up at 10. I don't really know why...

I think we'll go for an evening party. Steven will be so excited. Kate can watch the baby for me... So then we'll have 2 adults able to focus on the boys and hopefully all will be good....

I haven't done a friend- birthday party for the kids since we moved out here- there just never was time, and we were usually back in Washington when their birthday rolled around. So, yeah, I need to make up for lost time!!!
          Peggy

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
            Sleepovers are not common out here. Not at all. Kate has some friends who have never been to a sleepover- whenever she has one only about 3 girls can stay. Usually at least 2 or 3 of them get picked up at 10. I don't really know why...
            I'm going to assume it's because you live in the helicopter parent capital of the world.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We're quite strict about early bedtimes, and even I would say go for the evening - no school the next day and only 10 PM sounds fine for 8-9 year olds.
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

Vote for the evening game here, too. We used to be allowed to stay up super late when I had sleepovers (we'd watch SNL and not get it) so I think it's just a 'party thing' to be allowed to be out a little later.

Are you going to the Frederick Keys or the Bowie Baysox?

J.

Comment

The Frederick Keys-- just up the road...
                  Peggy

Comment

My brother interned there during undergrad. I'll ask him if he knows anyone there still. He worked in minor league baseball for about 10 years after college.

J.

Comment

Cool! Bet he met some interesting people...
                      Peggy

Comment

Working...
                      X