Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Everybody ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe I'm saying it, but they need the structure. (Yes, this is coming from the original summer child!) The last few weeks they won't even look at a pool. There has been way too much screen time and too much entertainment by picking on each other. I really hate to say this because I cherish the time with my kids, but I really think that their systems are out of whack. They have had plenty of downtime. Now they need schedules, structure, and friends.
    Kelly, you said that brilliantly. My kids too. I'm feeling guilty for wanting them back in school this much - but the summer has been so unstructured that we are ALL out of whack. Add in my DH's random job search and career issues and my ongoing health issues and you've got madness. I'm hoping that the school days will put it back together for my family.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
      Do any of you have experience with combo classes and what are your thoughts/opinions?
      I was in a combo 2nd/3rd grade class and loved it. I think with a strong teacher it can work well. Our class was large, but nowhere near 40. I could actually ask my teacher, b/c she's my stepmother ... now ... but that's a different story.

I will say I think it could be difficult for kids who struggle academically. I remember loving it b/c I was no longer bored with the "regular" stuff. I was able to do a lot of the 3rd grade stuff, and so I got to do it. I was always ahead until 5th grade, when the whole "2nd grade teacher becomes your stepmother thing" went down, and .... I pretty much hated anything to do with academics after that.

Comment

We began week 3 today!
        I still can't believe I have one in K, 1st & 2nd!

Comment

DS starts Senior-Kindergarten on Thursday. We are psyched! He's back at his old school. Last year was such a nightmare.

Comment

Everybody ready?

We started our third week today, too. My boys are doing well (other than the oldest and youngest each missing three days last week due to a bad throat virus) and my classes, although full, have been very pleasant so far. I see 196 kids every day, more than anyone sees in a day in our entire corporation, and I am part-time. Trying hard not to be bitter about that. I hope everyone has a great year!
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I love to hear about all of "our" kids!

I buy the uniform parts at Target, Lands End and JCPenney (which carries Izod) We don't have any requirements other than khakis on the bottom (girls can wear skirts or jumpers, too) and either hunter green or white polo type shirts for the tops- no plaid or other requirements. The Izod shorts have worn well- the pants all ended up with holes in both knees. I know that Lands End makes reinforced knee pants but they're expensive. I figured a little duct tape on the inside of the pants and we were good to go for those last few weeks.

and happily, I can report that the first day of 1st grade was NOT horrible.

Jenn

Comment

After looking at all the schools again (ug) I registered them in the local public school and am looking forward to getting to know the school community. Sept 1st is the big day. I think the kids are mostly excited but nervous as well. Cross your fingers the first day goes well!

Good luck to everyone else too!
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

My kids go back tomorrow. My girls have their clothes picked out already
                  ds has about 3 or 4 loose teeth that are just hanging on by a thread. They'll probably all fall out at school tomorrow. Dh's office is closed tomorrow for the first day back. They Also close for in service/teacher work days. Interesting...
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies View Post
                    My kids go back tomorrow. My girls have their clothes picked out already
                    ds has about 3 or 4 loose teeth that are just hanging on by a thread. They'll probably all fall out at school tomorrow. Dh's office is closed tomorrow for the first day back. They Also close for in service/teacher work days. Interesting...
                    That's super cool Sylvia! I'm thinking the practice must be run by women.
                    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

The girls started the 1st and 4th grade last week and are enjoying it. Isabella got the teacher who has the most respected reputation in the school and she was SUPER excited about it. Even though it's been only a week I can see why he has the reputation he does, he's been awesome with emails and already starting a blog about the classroom. Our school system suffered major budget cuts this past year and they let go of one of the 4th grade teachers so her class has 29 kids in it! I'm super bugged about that but not sure what I can really do about it either. Gracie got into a combo 1st/2nd grade class. She has two teachers one responsible for each grade level but work with all 40 of the kids. Not really sure how I feel about that. When I expressed my concerns to the teacher she assured me that her and the other teacher had been working together for the past 9 years and all three of her own kids were part of combo classes and feels it was beneficial for them. It's my understanding if this class works well for her that she will automatically be placed with the same teachers next year for 2nd grade. I think that may work well since she's shy and socially reserved. Do any of you have experience with combo classes and what are your thoughts/opinions?
                      Your reaction to 29 kids cracked me up. 30 was the norm the whole time I was in elementary school. People didn't raise eyebrows till it got to the mid-30s.
                      I was also in a split class, iirc it was 1st/2nd, and I was in 2nd. It was one teacher, normal sized class (they apparently had weird numbers of kids, so stuck two half-classes together that year). It was just fine.

I'm curious about the uniforms someone else mentioned: do they have to be bought in one particular place or something? That does seem outrageously expensive for one kid's outfit.
                      Last edited by poky; 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM.
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

The girls started the 1st and 4th grade last week and are enjoying it. Isabella got the teacher who has the most respected reputation in the school and she was SUPER excited about it. Even though it's been only a week I can see why he has the reputation he does, he's been awesome with emails and already starting a blog about the classroom. Our school system suffered major budget cuts this past year and they let go of one of the 4th grade teachers so her class has 29 kids in it! I'm super bugged about that but not sure what I can really do about it either. Gracie got into a combo 1st/2nd grade class. She has two teachers one responsible for each grade level but work with all 40 of the kids. Not really sure how I feel about that. When I expressed my concerns to the teacher she assured me that her and the other teacher had been working together for the past 9 years and all three of her own kids were part of combo classes and feels it was beneficial for them. It's my understanding if this class works well for her that she will automatically be placed with the same teachers next year for 2nd grade. I think that may work well since she's shy and socially reserved. Do any of you have experience with combo classes and what are your thoughts/opinions?
                        I know everyone freaks out about large class sizes but it is important to remember that the data shows it is NOT class size that makes the difference but a good, experienced teacher. Interestingly enough, it can be worse to have a class that is too small rather than too large. In terms of a combo class I think it could be beneficial if the teachers are experienced and the children are able to work within two grade levels depending on where they are in their learning abilities.
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

MDPhDWife -

I heard back from my stepmother. The year she had the split class, she had 32 kids - 20 2nd grade / 12 3rd graders.

Comment

Thanka for the feedback ladies, I'm feeling better about the combo class as a concept and I'm taking a wait and see approach on the teachers at least until open house.
                            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Minus Alec Baldwin, this is what it was Like listening to the two kinder teachers yesterday. Dh and I had a very hard time keeping ourselves quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzkGdXIR7ek
                              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

FWIW - all of my sister's kids are in combo classes and love it. The older ones help mentor the younger and then the next year the tables are turned. The teachers get to know the kids really well. My sister has nothing but raves about it. I have been trying to get C into the charter school, but it is full and I am really sad about it. It would be a great fit for him. The teachers are very creative about teaching to each child's needs.
                                Kris

Comment

Working...
                                X